Did you mean: 

ISW 16804 Configuration

ISW 16804 Configuration

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
I am brand new to the Extreme Switch 16804 and I'm not a router guy
Going through doing basic configuration, IP config
Mode - Host or Router ?
Reading through the config guide it says Host mode won't route traffic through any port
Popup Help window is useless
Search for Youtube videos is a total waste of time, frustrated

Can anyone explain which mode this switch should be in, it's purpose is to sit at each end of a wireless link and pass vlans and QinQ

Also how do I specify a gateway for the NTP ?

Dave
18 REPLIES 18

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Dave,

I have never used an ISW switch. The documentation suggests that a HYBRID port type is used for Q-in-Q. The C-Tag or inner tag (client tag) is used to distinguish client VLANs, and transported inside a Q-in-Q tunnel. The S-Tag or outer tag (service tag) is used to distinguish different transport tunnels. You would probably configure a hybrid port to place every inbound frame into a service VLAN, and send frames from the service VLAN without the S-Tag out of that port. To transport the Q-in-Q tagged frames you use trunk ports that allow the service VLANs.

I cannot tell you how to configure this on an ISW, sorry. 😞

Erik

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
Thank you Eric

Have you configured QinQ on one of these, it's above my normal experience with vlans on simpler switches

We need to place a switch on each end of a radio link and pass a variety of vlans along with one vlan having QinQ

Trunk ports straight through end to end, Client will untag and break out on their gear

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Dave,

the PVID (port VLAN ID) determines into which VLAN an Ethernet frame entering the port is placed, if the Ethernet frame does not contain a VLAN tag.

You would allow the management VLAN as tagged on the TRUNK ports. All frames on a trunk should be tagged. TRUNK ports are used between switches.

An ACCESS port is used to connect end systems. There is usually just one VLAN configured on an access port, and the Ethernet frames usually do not contain a VLAN tag (this is untagged). An ACCESS port might have a voice VLAN as well, if both an IP phone and a PC are connected to the port.

Erik

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
Yup that worked thank you

Under VLANS, each port has a vlan assigned to it PVID

On TRUNK ports C-PORT I assume I should assign the management vlan to the trunk ports ?

All ports are configured as TRUNK or ACCESS, nothing else

Access ports would be assigned the vlan that is being untagged

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Network: 0.0.0.0
Mask length: 0
Gateway: 10.10.41.1

That should suffice, it is equivalent to the CLI command "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.41.1".

Please note that I do not have an ISW switch available to test.

Thanks,
Erik
GTM-P2G8KFN