Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing VDX6740 switches in VCS Mode via DPOD

Licensing VDX6740 switches in VCS Mode via DPOD

DI1
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I just need some guidance on how to license ports on VDX6740 switches operating in VCS mode. I have voucher numbers for the product already, and I understand the part where I would have to generate a license string/key based on the voucher numbers as it appears on our account on the ExtremeNetworks customer portal.

What I do not really understand are the next steps - do I login into the individual switches and apply the license string or do I login with the VCS IP address of the switch to apply the license string? 

Another thing I noticed is that when I did "sh dpod" on the switch, some ports are disconnected but they still hold on to a license. Any ideas on how to release the license to go back into a pool? My understanding is that for DPOD, a license is only applied to a port when it is enabled - that is, connected to a device and operational. Am I missing something?

I have never had the opportunity to apply licenses to ports in the VDX 6740, so any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Balaji
Extreme Employee
Hi, 

1) You can add the license from the Principal Rbridge to other remote rbridges using the below command 
    license add licStr "string"  rbridge-id <id>
2) use the dpod release command to remove a port from the Ddpod
e.g VDX1(config)# dpod 1/0/1 release
In same way you can also manually reserve a port using the VDX1(config)# dpod 1/0/1 reserve
once the port is reserved it would be required to shut and no shut the port to bring it online
GTM-P2G8KFN