Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb Stacking question

Newb Stacking question

David_Gardner
New Contributor
Hi all,
I have a question regarding stacking. We purchased 3 X450e-48p switches off of EBay, and I want to stack them. I found an article indicating that all of the switches had to be the same license level, EXOS Version and Active Partition. Two of the three are at the same license level (Advanced Edge) and are running the same EXOS version - in the active partition anyway, the third license level is Edge, and its running a newer EXOS version. Will they still stack? If not, can i copy the EXOS firmware from one to the other? If so, how?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
17 REPLIES 17

Drew,
These are not G2 switches, so unfortunately, I cannot upgrade past EXOS 15.3.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
David

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello David,

If you follow the directions to get them to see each other and do the easy stacking they should stack together. However, I would position the switch with the lower license level and different exos version as the lower switch. Essentially forcing it to be slot 3. The switch will most likely come up as failed under the "show slot" command. From here you can run the "synchronize slot 3" command and it will push the images from the master to slot 3. Slot 3 will go down for this time and it will take about 15 minutes. If the slot 3 comes back and it is still failed you can configure the master-capability for lost 3 from the master and turn it off.

"configure stacking slot 3 master-capability off"
"reboot slot 3"

The license levels only have to match on master-capable switches. Slot 3 will never be able to become master or backup but it will function normally in the stack.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
GTM-P2G8KFN