cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove switches one by one in Enterasys B5 Secure Stack

Remove switches one by one in Enterasys B5 Secure Stack

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
I have a stack of 8 Enterasys B5 Switches in a "ring" stack. I am moving to X460G2s and have moved 3 of the bottom B5 switches to the 460 stack. So Switches 6-8 can be removed. Can I just "clear switch member 6-8" and then remove them from the stack? I know switch 5 is the management so i'll have to movemanagement... Anyway, I haven't taken a stack down like this before.. I am just migrating to the new stack slowly and need to decommission this stack, switch by switch.
7 REPLIES 7

Daniel_Coughlin
Extreme Employee
Basically you just need to use the first five steps of the article.
1. Create a configuration backup and copy the backup off the switch via TFTP: show config outfile configs/filename.cfg
copy configs/filename.cfg tftp:///filename.cfg

2. If there are more than two units in the stack, a closed loop stacking connection (stack cable from top unit to bottom unit for redundancy) may be necessary to ensure switches above and below the switch being removed can still communicate with each other

3. Disconnect power cable from the unit to be removed from the stack, then disconnect the stack cables (Note: If the manager unit is being removed, a disruption to the other stack members will occur until new manager is chosen)

4. To clear the configuration from the stack for the disconnected switch, issue the command: clear switch member

5. Reconnect the running units back together in the same matter with the stack cables (up to down, or down to up ports)

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Ahh, very good. I didn't see that. However, I am going to be decommissioning this stack in the next 2 days, so there is no reason to reload the stack after removing it to sure up the config. I also don't care if there is some residual config for a few days. I just want to remove the switches without any interruption to the other switches in the stack.

Daniel_Coughlin
Extreme Employee
I think we have a few articles posted on this subject.
How to permanently remove SecureStack switch and configuration from an existing stack
This is the first one I have found.
GTM-P2G8KFN