cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace a complete switch stack

Replace a complete switch stack

David31
New Contributor
Hey guys, it looks like we are having an issue with a stack that has 5 nodes. At some point or another a node will fail so it came to be that all nodes will be replaced in this stack. My question is that since I have a limited time frame of 2 hours, would it be best to do 1 node at a time starting from 5 and work my way up to 1 (Master) or do I set up the new stack and copy config files? More than likely the new switch's will have newer image than what we currently have. I've swapped out nodes before but have never been faced with a situation like this.

Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

David31
New Contributor
I appreciate the info, I'd like to take advantage of using newer image over what we have now which is 16. It's a bit of a pita with how much configuration there is but I guess in the long run we'd be better off. So it looks like the game plan is this:

1-Verify/identify what vlans are on ports and uplinks of existing stack and label cables to specific vlans
2-Set up new stack at my desk mimicking existing stack. If I use the same IP I won't be able to connect to network, so I guess I can keep it offline.
3-Shut down existing stack, pop in new stack, plug cables and cross fingers.

Sound about right?

Eric_Burke
New Contributor III
I agree with everyone else - start clean and carefully swap cables to the new stack. Not sure of your overall architecture, but if this stack is in any way providing redundant server or uplink connections, you may want to also consider a design using MLAG, splitting the stack and allowing for you to take half offline without affecting the other. Won't help today, but might save you some time in the future when doing normal maintenance.

DH1
New Contributor III
I just went through the same thing. I built the new stack with new firmware and configured them how the existing stack is (vlans etc..). I didn't want to put the existing config on the new stack for fear of any issues with it. I then removed the old switches, installed the new switches and have been great since. I would not recommend replacing nodes one at a time, sounds like a nightmare in the making!

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
I think this is a mostly a matter of preference.

That said I would stack all the new switches copy the configuration over and then just replace the whole stack. Just make sure you identify and label any cables that need to go back into ports with none standard configurations.

Depending on how bad your cabling is you should be able to swap the whole stack this way in an hour.

GONÇALO_NUNO_CO
New Contributor III
I david, i would ensure that the switches have the same image and setup the stack all in once.
GTM-P2G8KFN