cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

small port density

small port density

Javier_Solis
New Contributor
How many out there are looking for a small port density of 1G (24 copper or sfp) and at least 4/6 10G + 2 40G in a 1U factor, dual power, and OSPF/BGP at a competitive price point? This would suit well for an edge WAN router or for an MDF closet in a building with no edge ports that feeds multiple IDF's in the same building.
13 REPLIES 13

Javier_Solis
New Contributor
James, What policy feature set do you get with the S that you don't get with the stackables?

JAMES_WIEDEL
New Contributor II
My needs are slightly different since I could use what would look like a K 1. My main issue is the lack of the powerful policies on the stackable series. I utilize deep packet inspections to catch the garbage that would flood the network but I don't always need the port density. Hence my network has a lot of S-series, K-series, N-series and some D2G's and C5K's.

Kafel__Ali
New Contributor
Javier - Thanks for the input. As you know, soon we will become part of Extreme Networks, where products from both companies will significantly strengthen our portfolio. Please stay tuned.

Javier_Solis
New Contributor
I would be interested in one product that meets all the feature requests that would be geared more toward BGP/OSPF edge routing. The 7100 series looks nice, but that product line looks to fall more towards high performance data center switching. It would be nice to have a product that had routing available. In order to keep costs low, it would be nice to see a product with 24 sfp or 24 10/100/100 along with at least 8 sfp+ ports or a mixture of 40G + 10G. Maybe 6sfp+ and 2-40G? This would allow for enough ports to bond multiple devices together and provide 10G to core. Again, I am picturing this device to do core routing on the WAN edge or to front end multiple building MDF's. Take a look at the brocade icx6610 or the extreme summit x460. Thanks,

Jerry_Herzog
Extreme Employee
Javier Something like the 7100 series?
GTM-P2G8KFN