cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking x440 48p 10g switch to x440 24p 10g switch using SFP+ ports

Stacking x440 48p 10g switch to x440 24p 10g switch using SFP+ ports

Beth_Dierks
New Contributor
I currently have the X440 48p 10g switch in production, however since it is full I need to stack the x440 24p 10g switch with it. I have ordered the stacking cable to connect the 2 switches together via the SFP+ ports. My question is, when configuring these to stack together, am I going to wipe out the current 48 port switch configuration if I use the command easy stacking? I am looking for what is the best way to set this up and not disrupt what is already in production. Any thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Stacking is nice because it allows you to have a method for managing both switches together as one logical unit. If you're okay with managing them separately, you'll be able to connect the two switches without issue. You'll need to tag your VLANs for the uplink port(s) on both switches so that you can break them out on the new switch. I'd recommend creating a 20G load sharing group between the switches to reduce bandwidth bottlenecks.
If you're unfamiliar with these processes, it might be a good idea to open a ticket with GTAC so that someone can take a look at your specific config and help guide you along. They can also help convert your existing config to a "slot:port" arrangement for stacking.

Beth_Dierks
New Contributor
Oh my, this is going to completely disrupt our 24x7 production then. Is there any other way?

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
If you must have a stack, there will be some downtime to make sure everything comes up as it should. A few reboots as well.
How complicated is your configuration (VLANs, etc.)? It might end up being relatively easy to convert the config into a stacking config to help minimize downtime.

You could also create a 2x10G port group and let one switch handle all of the IP routing, while the other is all switched at layer 2. That's probably the quickest way to get up and running while you find time to schedule a proper maintenance window to set up the stack.

PARTHIBAN_CHINN
Contributor
yes it should remove the config.
As we are enabling stacking for the first time we need to reconfigure it.
GTM-P2G8KFN