cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you use the 'top' command on a stack, which CPU is it showing you?

When you use the 'top' command on a stack, which CPU is it showing you?

Stanley_Riley_J
New Contributor II
We have a 5 switch stack of x460-48p. Our monitoring software, Solarwinds, is alerting us to high CPU usage very frequently and intermittently on this switch stack. However, when I use the 'top' command, I don't see CPU usage as high as what is being reported.

What CPU information is being shown when I run the 'top' command on the master of the stack?

What are some possibilities for the high CPU being reported?

Thanks,
Stan
11 REPLIES 11

Is this something I can do in a production environment, or something that needs to be done off-hours?

Run the elrp-client on various VLANS and all ports.. It will let you know if you have a loop.

Jeremy-x460.1 # configure elrp-client one-shot "WirelessAP" ports all print-and-log
Starting ELRP Poll . . .
# NO LOOP DETECTED # --- vlan "WirelessAP" elrp statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, ingress port (nil)
* Jeremy-x460.2 #

typically just ./snmpMaster, ./snmpSubagent, and ./hal

it fluctuates while i'm watching top

I apologize but I don't know what elrp-client is

Also, no users are complaining of performance issues.

I'm beginning to wonder if Solarwinds is sending a false positive alert. While watching top on the master node, I have not seen CPU go above say 55%, but the issue might be on a different node, I haven't figured that out yet.

Stanley_Riley_J
New Contributor II
so here is another question....

I've noticed some ports flapping. Would high CPU cause that, or the other way around? it seems to be a bunch of random ports spread across the entire stack

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
My monitoring software monitors the CPU of each member of the stack and computes an overall load, but can alert on one individual switch.

GTM-P2G8KFN