cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

avaya switch password reset stack

avaya switch password reset stack

Joseph_Crist
New Contributor
I have a couple of Avaya 5500 series switches. I can no longer access one of them because I have forgotten the password. I heard it is possible to reset a the password without wiping the configuration. The process requires adding the switch to a stack and saving a new password to the switch's config. I have never performed a password reset using this method, and I would like to know where I can find a guide to perform a password reset without wiping the config.

Thanks,

Joe
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Venky,

As far as I know the command reset all passwords(including snmp/web) to factory default and create new password file. So I think other config will we remained.
8010 or 8006 are chassis model of ERS8800/8600 series unless you have old 8100(L2 only) model.

monitor# reset-passwd
monitor# boot

CPU5 [02/19/19 10:27:50] SNMP INFO Password file does not exist.
CPU5 [02/19/19 10:27:50] SNMP INFO The username and password for system logins have been set to default values. The passwords should be changed once the switch boots up for maximum security.
CPU5 [02/19/19 10:27:50] SNMP WARNING The Web server user name and password have been set to default values. The passwords should be changed once the switch boots up for maximum security.
CPU5 [02/19/19 10:27:50] SNMP INFO A new password file with default settings has been created.

Federico_Barone
Extreme Employee
If it's a single unit, we need the MAC address to reset the password. If it's a stack, we need the MAC address of the base unit. We have an internal tool to generate a backdoor password.

Samantha_R_Newm
Extreme Employee
Joseph,

If you make the ERS 5500 part of a stack it can reset the password but it will likely also reset the configuration. The safest method to reset a password from an ERS switch is record the base MAC address from the sticker on the ERS and call Extreme Networks Technical Support. When you call you should already have a console session to the switch established as the engineer you speak to will have you disrupt the boot cycle at a certain point to enter the password.
GTM-P2G8KFN