cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric extend over a set of Exos switches?

Fabric extend over a set of Exos switches?

AlexH
New Contributor

This may not be possible, but it would be handy if it is...  I have 4 switches on my desk, a pair of 430s running EXOS, and 2 5320s using VOSS.  I have 2 laptops, and they connect just fine over the 2 430s in a VLAN, but that was just to test.  I was attempting to refer to this page : Fabric Engine User Guide (extremenetworks.com)

to build out a test setup to link the 2 VOSS switches over the EXOS switches somehow to extend the fabric over.  Since I am new to VOSS, and honestly relatively new to EXOS although I can now get around in it ok, they are slightly different /tongue in cheek there.  

So, is this even a possibility, or would I have to use something like an XA1400 to set this up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MJS
New Contributor III

Hi Alex. I believe you're on the right track to consider using "Fabric Extend". Here are some detailed examples of how to make this happen.

https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000078226&q=fabric%20extend
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000078216&q=fabric%20extend

MS

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AlexH
New Contributor

I was able to get this working over layer 2, although I would change that logical isis port command after the initial configuration to go into that logical port and run the commands there.  Thank you all for your assistance!  It'll help us in getting our new location up and running with fabric.

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

Make sure you enable Jumbo frame support on the EXOS switches (is not enabled by default), or the ISIS FE adjacencies won't come up!

WillyHe
Contributor

I like to add one more solutions, indeed, there are, depending on the needs, tree solutions.
The first two solutions are best for L2 intermediate LAN/WAN/PROVIDER networks.
Remember SPBM-FC requires point to point tagged vlan connections for the back-bone vlans

1. When it is a single NNI SPBM-FC connection between two SPBM-FC switches over an intermediate L2 network, just configure both SPBM-FC back-bone vlans end to end to pass over the intermediate L2 network.
  2. When more SPBM-FC connections are required over the same intermediate L2 network, the SPBM-FE-L2 is the better solution because of jumbo frame support and no additional header, just the back-bone vlan id's are replaced by the per SPBM-FE-L2 interface configured vlan id's (vlan translation/SPBM-FE-L2.
    All these vlans must be created over the intermediate L2 network, or transparent ports/QinQ/.... can be used to transport over the intermediate network.
  3. When the intermediate network is a L3 network, then SPBM-FE-L3 is the solution?

SPBM-FE-L3 requires more switch resources compared to SPBM-FE-L2

AlexH
New Contributor

Thanks, it looks like I have some reading to do!  It would think it would be better to stay in L2 if possible, but I had forgotten about the MTU size change, so thanks for that reminder as well.

GTM-P2G8KFN