Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISIS routing between VSP and Other router

ISIS routing between VSP and Other router

yves_weyns
New Contributor
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone here has experience with the following situation.
I have 2 VSP switches setup as a vIST cluster. Towards each of these VSPs I have a Juniper router which is running ISIS. The routers are interconnected as well which creates a square. I would like to use the ISIS protocol to send the routes from the Juniper routers towards the VSPs and the other way around. The routing on the Juniper devices is working, They are distributing the routes. The VSPs are doing the same. However, the adjacency between the SRX and the VSP is not coming up. On the VSP end it seems that I can only add SPBM interface towards ISIS and not regular ISIS interface which I believe I need.
When I configure it like that and perform the tagging of my backbone vlans on the Juniper (and ofc put those interfaces in ISIS) there seems to be no communication between them.
Just creating a P2P IP interface also does not work.

Has anyone ran a setup like this? Either Juniper or other routers?

Thx.
Yves
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
unfortunately not. Double check your source because unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Between VSPs, the IP Shortcuts are using ISIS. But from the Fabric VSPs, they do not create ISIS routing adjacencies to other vendors.

Configuring a redistribution to OSPF or BGP is going to be your only solution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

yves_weyns
New Contributor
Thx Paul!

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
unfortunately not. Double check your source because unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Between VSPs, the IP Shortcuts are using ISIS. But from the Fabric VSPs, they do not create ISIS routing adjacencies to other vendors.

Configuring a redistribution to OSPF or BGP is going to be your only solution.

yves_weyns
New Contributor
Hi Paul,

So there is no way that this is going to work if I understand correctly?
Or in the future will be supported?

I thought I heard it somewhere that it was possible, that is why I am testing this currently.

Yves

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
VSPs support ISIS, but not in the true way you are thinking of.
Extreme VSPs and ERSs uses ISIS in the control plane of the fabric, they do not use traditional ISIS as a routing protocol.

VSPs support support ISIS/SPBm redistribution to Static Routes, RIP, OSPF, BGP.

You best solution is to have your Junipers do a redistribution.

VSP > SPBm > OSPF . | . OSPF < ISIS < Juniper
GTM-P2G8KFN