cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MLT between VOSS devices

MLT between VOSS devices

ITDept19
New Contributor

I am after guidance on setting up an MLT between 2 VOSS devices, a Core Switch and a 5420.

Diagram of set up is:

21921388-E7E6-42BA-B3D4-6F6C93325BC4.jpeg

The link between Cores and CabA is multi mode fibre and there’s an Extreme Networks LX GBICs on the uplink ports (1/20 and 1/50).

SPBM is not configured on the Core Switch.

The link between Core2 and CabA-Sw2 has not been connected yet.

The link on CoreA comes up, and stays up, I can see this from running “sh int gig state 1/20”.

The link on the 5420 doesn’t, however there is also nothing in logging file to indicate why.

I’ve confirmed the GBIC is visible on the 5420 with sh plug basic, and I also get a logging message when it’s plugged into port 1/50.

Anything I am missing or doing wrong?

7 REPLIES 7

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

out of curiosity.  How is SPBm not running on the core when you have a viST configured?

You need to have SPBm up and running on both  vIST clusters if you expect SMLT to work. 

Also, the simple work around is to just get away with SMLT and do NNIs. 

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

ITDept19,

The 5420 is quite capricious regarding the auto-nego settings due to a specific chipset on the port.

Did you tried disabling the auto-nego on the ports?

Mig

Yes I disabled auto negotiation on Core port and the 5420 port.
Tomorrow I will be tested with a single mode cable directly between core and 5420 (so bypassing the multimode across the estate).
If it works, I know it's due to the GBIC I'm using.

We've also ordered some SX GBICs, which should be with us next week.

Jave
Contributor

Hi ITDept19,

Just a question before going further: you've mentionned a multi mode fibre, but you are using an LX module, which is intended to be used with SMF fiber. Have you tried to establish link with one SX module ?

Regards.

GTM-P2G8KFN