cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segmented Management Interface

Segmented Management Interface

ExtremeNorth
New Contributor III

I see that VOSS 8.2.0 is released and there is now a Segmented Management Interface which says “the Management plane (management protocols) is separated from the Control Plane (routing plane) from a process and data-path perspective”.  There are three interface options that can now be used:

• Out-of-Band (OOB) management IP address (IPv4 and/or IPv6)
• In-band Loopback/circuitless IP (CLIP) management IP address (IPv4 and/or IPv6)
• In-band management VLAN IP address (IPv4 and/or IPv6)

I started configuring switches to use a CLIP address in the GRT for management, but now there is an option to use a CLIP address in any VRF including the GRT.  I distribute routes from the GRT to a Management VRF so I could share the management routing table within a L3VSN.

So the question is:

Should I leave the CLIP in the GRT or move it to a VRF?  How would this affect IP shortcuts?

Terrel.

12 REPLIES 12

ExtremeNorth
New Contributor III

Thanks, I also had issues with VSP8400 migrating to the Segmented Management so I wanted to get it running before putting the VSP8600’s in production.  I will work with Extreme to get an ETA.

Terrel.

PeterK
Contributor III

Hi Terrel,

as this Doc is from oct 2020, I’m not sure if this is true.

From the doc Segmented Management Interface will be available for the VSP7400 at VOSS 8.0. This isn’t true.

You could enter some migration commands on pre VOSS 8.2. that the mgmt will automate changed during upgrade to 8.2. (in my tests, that didn’t work well)

regards

Peter

ExtremeNorth
New Contributor III

The release notes say “The first management application to use the Management Instance is NTPv4.” and I tested and ssh doesn’t work.

ExtremeNorth
New Contributor III

Actually according to the Admin Guide segmented management is available on the VSP8600 with VOSS 8.0.0.0. 

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/VOSS/VSP8600/SW/80x/AdminVSP8600_8.0_ADG.pdf - Page 402.

I will be testing this later today, but has anybody else tried this?

Terrel.

GTM-P2G8KFN