cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.1X and Windows NPS Configuration Best Tips

802.1X and Windows NPS Configuration Best Tips

Andrew_Schmitt
New Contributor II
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best configure the VNS and Windows NPS to handle 802.1X? I'm finding in our tests that users seem to drop off the VNS during the day and need to reconnect as well as just roaming throughout the building. Our NPS logs on the Windows server would appear to show the same. I did just turn on opportunistic keying and preauth but I'm curious if there are any other tweaks I should look for? Especially for iOS devices since we have quite a few of those. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Doug
Extreme Employee
Could you be roaming controllers?
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

Andrew_Schmitt
New Contributor II
Yes, it was an hour, but I don't see how it's different from a WPA2-PSK network where the device caches the credentials and just reuses them when it sees the AP again. Am I missing something with 802.1X?

Doug
Extreme Employee
I'm running 9.21.02 on my lab controller, 3825i, 802.1x, PEAP, I just tested my iPhone 6 (8.4.1) no issues. How long are you out of the building? Longer than the default 30 min idle timeout?
Doug Hyde

Andrew_Schmitt
New Contributor II
Thank you both. I'm still struggling with this so I think I'll need to call GTAC. I join the 802.1X network than now has 802.11r on and Management Frame Protection off with an iPhone 6. The device works on the network, but when the device leaves the building and comes back, it never rejoins. Manually tap on it again and it joins ok.

Doug
Extreme Employee
Thanks Ron, please note...

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Apple-IOS-Clients-with-Connection-Issues...

Doug Hyde
GTM-P2G8KFN