Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Devices lose Internet Connection w/ Captive Portal

Apple Devices lose Internet Connection w/ Captive Portal

Dennis_K
New Contributor
Hey Everybody,

we use a WM3700 WLAN Controller and we have round about 500 Access Points (AP4600) in our Enviroment. (That are Schools and the Controller stands in our Company)

No we have some schools that use Apple Devices to connect to the Internet. For this Network we use the captive portal from the Controller. After they etablish a connection to the open WLAN they were redirected to the Captive Portal Website.

After the successfull login, they are able to surf but a few minutes later they have to login again.
We have configured a session Time about 1440 Minutes and they will be disconnected after 1D 0H 0M

Is this issue known? Do anybody know an issue with Apple Devices or some Settings to resolve this Problem?

If you have any question, i will be answer them asap.

Thank you very much!

We use the Wireless Mobility 5.4.
14 REPLIES 14

Dennis_K
New Contributor
Hi Andrew,

we just have two (2) RF-Domains. The AP's for the schools are all in the same RF-Domain.

I've read the Documentation a little bit further. NTP can cause data loss and unsynchronization.

Now i've checked the "AP-Profiles" and have seen that no "Key" was set.
Thats not dramatical but the option "Autokey" was disabled too. I dont know, whehter the NTP Sync is really correctly configured.

I have Autokey enabled now. Maybe...it will help...
Furhter ideas?

best regards

5b8f11a5c0ba4a03a8c09afa2ae3b97e_RackMultipart20150904-24668-7vn563-Unbenannt_inline.png

Dennis_K
New Contributor
Hi Andrew,

thank you for that information.
The SSID / WLAN ist just for these Apple Devices. (its complicated...)

Can you tell me what for a configuration i have to check?
Maybe we find the solution...

Thank you so much.

Dennis

Dennis,

One thing to check would be to verify the access points they are attempting to roaming between are within the same RF-Domain. I'm not certain NTP can cause this issue but if the access points are showing different time it would be good to address.

Andrew

Maybe its a failure in NTP Configuration?

Ty_Izzet
Extreme Employee
Dennis, I would like to add to this discussion. This may be due to Apple device power management features. The following article may help. Increasing the hold-time and activity timeout for clients have helped in the past. Please review the article and let us know if it helps.

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Apple-iOS-devices-losing-connectivity-wh...

GTM-P2G8KFN