cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure DHCP server on EXOS Switch enabled with Netlogin

Configure DHCP server on EXOS Switch enabled with Netlogin

Alagesan_Jeyara
New Contributor
I have configured DHCP server on Extreme X440 G2 Switch and it is working as expected. Now i want to add the the Switch into NAC control engine which eventually enables netlogin session.

I believe the DHCP server will provide leases only on systems connected on particular vlan enabled ports. Below command for reference.

• enable dhcp ports vlan
But netlogin session will have dynamic vlan assigned to the ports based on dot1x/mac and above mentioned command is a contradict to that.

Can someone help me on this?
11 REPLIES 11

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
I do not believe there is another way.

Is netlogin enabled on the uplink ports on the core? This is the only port you would need to enable DHCP on and netlogin is typically not enabled on uplink ports.

Netlogin is not enabled on the uplink ports

Alagesan_Jeyara
New Contributor
Hello Patrick,

The thing is all my switches participate in Netlogin including Core switch. I would like to configure DHCP server on my switch because it will help me better on NAC IP resolution. Any other possible ways you would suggest?

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Alagesan,

Unfortunately I believe the only way around this is to change the design. Would it be possible to configure DHCP on your core switch and then leave the edge switches to netlogin? This way the after the netlogin authentication the DHCP traffic will be sent through an uplink which will be enabled for DHCP on those VLANs.

As a side note the switch DHCP server wasn't inteded to be a full production DHCP server. A full fledged DHCP server is always recommended.

Alagesan_Jeyara
New Contributor
Hi Patrick, Thanks for your response. In that case what vlan I will mention on the below command or it is not necessary? Because netlogin will assign different vlans to users connect on that port.

• enable dhcp ports vlan
GTM-P2G8KFN