cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site Survey Question

Site Survey Question

Jim_Seaman
New Contributor II
I'd like to do my own site survey. I have a device that reads the db signal. However, I don't want to plug and unplug an Enterasys AP to transmit signal all over the site. Any suggestions for a transmitter for this type of scenario?
42 REPLIES 42

Jon_Linton
New Contributor II
Just a follow up on this thread. I did test on a 3710i running V8.21 code and found that Hartmut's instructions did work. The key is to enable "restart service in absence of controller". However, if you need to change the channel or more likely the power in the field you will need to SSH or console into the AP. There are two commands needed to change channel and power - cset frequency - cset power radio 0 is the 5GHz and radio 1 is the 2.4 GHz Here are some examples: cset frequency 0 5805 cset frequency 1 2412 cset power 0 12 cset power 1 23 Unfortunately, you will need to know channel frequency. Here are the equations to calculate them: 5000 + (5 * channel) so the above example would be 5000 + (161 x 5) = 5805 2407 + (5 * channel) so the above example would be 2407 + (1 x 5 ) = 2412 Pardon my first answer I've been working with this product since version 3.0 and old habits die hard. I think the thin AP solution to the survey mode is much better. By the way thirdPartyApMode command does work though I suspect this is a good idea.

Patrick_M
New Contributor II
Please don't violate your local regulations, but for a quick test you can run the following via ssh or the console, on at least a 3705 and probably the other the 37xx devices:

cset thirdPartyApMode standalone
capply
csave
// wait for "save config from cli shell" message
reboot

The above is clearly not officially supported.

Doug
Extreme Employee
Due to compliance reasons any model that has been certified for "thin" mode (where it talks to a controller) cannot be moved to standalone mode. The FCC certifications are done on the exact model number so any changes to the model type is not supported unless the unit is stamped standalone to begin with (example: sticker will say 3630/3640).

Doug Hyde
Sr Support Engineer
Extreme Networks
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

hsachse
New Contributor III
I've tried my first solution with a AP3715i and it worked well. Could be only a misconfiguration in your test setup I disconnected the network interfaces of my controller and the access point still worked. Then I disconnect the ap from network/power and reconnected it. After the boot finished the site survey ssid service started working again:

a11a9ffa5efc4491bee70b8b4f5217d6_ssid_service_restart_inline.png

Jim_Seaman
New Contributor II
I have a 3610. It doesn't support it. But the AP is still great though. Since I don't have a 3630 or 3700 model. Any alternatives if you don't have any of those models?
GTM-P2G8KFN