cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site Survey Question

Site Survey Question

Jim_Seaman
New Contributor II
I'd like to do my own site survey. I have a device that reads the db signal. However, I don't want to plug and unplug an Enterasys AP to transmit signal all over the site. Any suggestions for a transmitter for this type of scenario?
42 REPLIES 42

Doug
Extreme Employee
Official Response for tracking:

Objective
  • Site Survey Mode
  • Wireless RF Survey

Environment
IdentiFi Wireless Access Points - All Models
Firmware All

Procedure
  1. Attach the access point that will be used for survey mode.
  2. Configure the access point with a demo VNS, WLAN-Service, Default Role Allow All.
  3. Assign the Role to a Bridge at AP Topology untagged.
  4. Set both radios to a desired channel and max power.
  5. In the AP properties enable (with check mark) Maintain client sessions in the event of a poll failure and restart service in the absence of a controller.
  6. Confirm the access point has the configuration and the SSID's are advertising out in the air.
  7. Power down the access point and bring it to the desired location for the survey, power the unit up (single PoE injector).
The access point will advertise out the last known good configuration it had before the power down. This should allow someone to use the access point to take survey readings. If any changes are needed, the access point should be booted back up where it can access the controller again to pull down any new changes.

Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Ron, when you get to 5000 points, I'll do what I can to get you a tshirt.

-Drew

Doug
Extreme Employee
Looks like Ron beat me to it. Thanks Ron 
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

hsachse
New Contributor III
Remember: it would be a purple coloured t-shirt. Better you should get the original wifi detector t-shirt i wear sometimes for fun during site survey. They could custumize the backsize with "Extreme Community Champion" 😉
GTM-P2G8KFN