cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless controller migration question

Wireless controller migration question

hsachse
New Contributor III
I'm searching for a solution to migrate a old C20 wireless controller to a V2110 with minimal wireless network outage. The old infrastructure is a mixed environment of AP2620/AP3620.

My first idea was to change the controller priority in the AP configuration, but this didn't work. The AP still reconnected to the old controller after reboot. If the "join" would work correct, I'm not sure if the could be the next problem - the c20 firmware is a really old 6R1.x and the V2110 use the latest 8.31.x code. Would the AP firmware upgrade work correct? I know there is a recommended upgrade path for controller, but this would cause serveral reboots and this would cause a longer outage. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Doug
Extreme Employee
Process...
  • Set both of the new controllers to allow only approved access points.
  • Ensure AP discovery method allows the AP to find both of the new controllers.
  • Set the AP's static search list to find the new controller(s).
  • Delete the AP from the older code controller.
  • Configure new controller as desired, services etc.
  • After the deleting the AP from the old controller, it should appear on the new controller as pending.
  • Accept the AP on the new controller.
  • When AP is upgraded, add services to it and test functionality.
  • Repeat the above with 1 AP of each type 26xx 36xx etc.
  • With a known procedure in place repeat with remaining AP's in small groups of about 10-20 AP's.
It may take a few minutes for the access point to upgrade, but it should work. Any issues please feel free to contact the GTAC directly.

Regards,

Doug Hyde
Sr. Support Engineer
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

hsachse
New Contributor III
Thanks for the advice. This idea/process I tried before asking the question and it didn't work  So I will update the C20 first to newer code (step by step) and the try the process again. It seems to be impossible to migrate without downtime.

Tamera_Rousseau
New Contributor
Hi Hartmut. I have some of our experts thinking about the best way for this migration and you should have some thoughts on this shortly. If anyone in the community has some thoughts, it would be great to hear some ideas for Hartmut.
GTM-P2G8KFN