Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captive portal NAC + Apple Devices OSX

Captive portal NAC + Apple Devices OSX

Tiago_Molinos
New Contributor II
Hi there,

we've been setting up a wireless lan solution with NAC + a couple of identify controllers.
At the moment we're fine tunning the guest network.

I'm running the latest NAC appliance software and version 9.21.04 on the controllers (5110 + v2110).

Right now I'm concerned with two different problems:

1 - Whenever I try to connect an Apple OSX device, it pops up an error:

If I ignore the error and go straight to the browser and open a random page then the portal appears and I can register a device. After the registration is successful I end up in problem #2.

2 - On all Apple devices, after the registration is successful the device never renews the IP address and the eventually an error in the portal is displayed. If I manually reconnect to the network than it gets the correct IP address.

Any suggestion?

Best Regards,

Tiago

25 REPLIES 25

Tiago_Molinos
New Contributor II
Well, we've started broadcasting our guest network today. It has both Guest Registration and Authenticated Registration.
The Guest Registration has email validation witch is why I'm writing this post. In my iPhone I get the popup, register the equipment and the it ask me for the validation pin. I have to press the home button and open my email client. There I can find the pin.
When I choose the WiFi network I get to the portal again and go straight to the validation page. I insert the pin and get a error stating that I need a valid pin. Cannot access.
If I check the pin in another device wile having the popup opened than it works. It seems that when I close the portal, the pin looses it's validity, but the NAC retains the authentication state?!?

Anyone?

Tiago_Molinos
New Contributor II
Hello, the suffix is added but the problem remain. Still only on my machine so no real problem now...

Joseph_Burnswor
New Contributor III
Curious, What is doing DHCP for these devices? Is it the controller or a separate DHCP server? I have seen this issue when the DNS Suffix is not added with the DHCP lease.

Tiago_Molinos
New Contributor II
Hi there,
So I've opened a TAC case, and with them we found out a few things not Captive Portal related... It appears a OSX specific issue (and not on all machines). My MacBook doesn't register the DNS server IP address while the popup is opened. I've tried going to terminal and the file /etc/resolv.conf doesn't even exist... doing an nslookup reveals a server pointing to localhost... After closing the popup, resolv.conf appears instantly and opening a browser allow for quick access to the captive portal. I've seen other MacBooks connecting using the popup without any issue, so I'm assuming it's a restricted issue.
I've also found a post in another forum with a similar problem...
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/170591/wi-fi-through-captive-portal-does-not-connect

Best Regards,

Tiago Molinos

Joseph_Burnswor
New Contributor III
Were you able to get the issue resolved? If not, let us know so we can assist your further 🙂
GTM-P2G8KFN