cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients connecting to AP's that are too far away

Clients connecting to AP's that are too far away

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
What would cause my wireless clients to overlook AP's that are close by (directly overhead) and maintain a connection to AP's that are several rooms or several floors away? I have had many issues with poor quality connections only to find that the user is nowhere near the AP they are connected to.

If I disassociate them, they will sometimes reconnect to a closer AP. But usually the reconnect to the same one. For some reason, rebooting the AP's one at a time seems to clear this up. But it continues to happen.

It also seems to happen in a pattern. We will get two to five users at once experiencing the issue.

Is this because I have the signal power set too high (I have them all set to full blast)? Or is there something else that needs tweaked?
16 REPLIES 16

Sam
Extreme Employee
Hi Steve,

You might find this article useful: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Issues-with-clients-staying-with-an-Acce....

Does the issue occur mostly in 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

- Sam

Hello Sam, thanks for the link. It doesn't seem to be specific to one radio. In the past I tried forcing clients to use b/g as I assumed it was the new n/a/ac that was the issue. But that didn't make any difference. I am reluctant to make this change during production hours because I don't want to go dumping everyone off.

I did make this setting change on the one AP that I was connected to which was far away from me. It did force me to disconnect and I reconnected to the AP overhead. Hey, that worked!! However - I connected at two bars (out of five) and I was dropping packets left and right. I had 150mbps of bandwidth ... but it was useless.

Then I noticed I have some channel issues ... see my reply further down in a moment. I will put in some pictures.
GTM-P2G8KFN