cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest splash not opening automatically on mobile phones or Windows 7 machines?

Guest splash not opening automatically on mobile phones or Windows 7 machines?

Colin_Ivey
New Contributor
Should the guest splash open automatically on mobile devices or Windows 7 PCs? After configuring, I tested the portal using my Windows 10 laptop, and whenever I connected, a browser would automatically open with the portal. This is not the case on mobile devices or Windows 7 machines.
2 REPLIES 2

Diederik_Kuijpe
New Contributor III
Results differ per device.

Iphone & Ipad went straight to the splash.
Samsung Galaxy S5, straight to the splash.
W10 laptop not immediately, but when opening a browser.

The new Samsung one with the touch buttons on the side will not.

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
I have had *mixed* success with this on mobile devices. I can't recall if Windows 7 worked or not. In my initial testing after put in Extreme AP's, the mobile devices (I tested three) all of them went to the sign-in page almost immediately after joining the guest network. But I have had some reports that my guest network "doesn't work" and it's usually because the phone didn't prompt them to go to the sign in page.

When the magic fails - if you open a web browser on the device, it will redirect you. But if you open an app on a phone, the app just doesn't work.

I don't know that this is something that Extreme can really do better, because it seems that the mobile device is at fault here. What SHOULD happen, is that when you join a new network the device will request a specific URL from one of many IP addresses. The page is usually something to the effect of "generate_404". And if it gets anything other than a simple 404 message back, then it should tell the user that they need to sign in. I have done some sniffing, and I can watch a device try the 404, and fail, and yet *still* not prompt the user to sign into the network. WHY?!?!?!

I also have a theory that this whole "Wi-Fi Sense" system is screwing things up. I went from a network that requires no sign-in, to one that does, and I never changed the SSID. That was probably a bonehead mistake on my part, because public devices may have (?) already been talking about my network and "crowdsourcing" the non-sign-in detaul. BUT --- you said Windows 7 and this seems to be introduced into Windows 10.

Anyhow - I would love some community feedback here. I am curious to know what others experiences have been with this.
GTM-P2G8KFN