cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Has anybody ever installed Summit Switches in external cabinets that have no cooling only convection cooling through the cabinet itself

Has anybody ever installed Summit Switches in external cabinets that have no cooling only convection cooling through the cabinet itself

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
Extreme hardware being placed in external road side cabinet . ( provide network & poe+ to external AP 3865 )

The cabinets exist , so I cannot change or modify. heat exchange will be by convection to out side. ( no grill or air con)

South UK based , so unlikly to have major weather events ( cold hot )

I look forward to your comments.
12 REPLIES 12

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Excessive heat is bad for most electronic devices - definitely give it a test šŸ™‚

hi yes i was hoping that not using a fan , would not push the heat around the cabinet , both work 0-40/45 Celsius for heat..

i see a test coming on ...

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
The X430-8p is fanless. Because of that, I don't know how well it will do in your scenario - not saying it won't work. You might have better luck with an X440-8p since it has a fan.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Rod, what Summit model(s) are you considering?

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Rod,

I am sure this has already been accounted for but the only thing I wanted to mention is to make sure the cabinet is taken care of as far as preventing the elements. From there the "show temperature output will tell you how the switch is running and the thresholds for reboots if it gets too hot.
GTM-P2G8KFN