Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Density WiFi Design

High Density WiFi Design

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Guys

So I thought that I would get the communities comment on a specific High Density wireless design.
Could make for a interesting discussion.

We have a a open room, 100 meters by 50 meters.
The room is used for students to bring your own device and then write exams.
We should cater for 1000 students.
With the various tests we have done we see 70% 2.4Ghz devices and 30% 5Ghz.

What would your designs look like for something like this?

5a887760c6b84600b6e5063bd60f31b6_RackMultipart20160801-8817-140csns-Gerga_inline.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

Joseph_Burnswor
New Contributor III
Hey Andre,

Just wondering if you need any more assistance and brainstorming on this? Not sure about anyone else, but I am pretty excited to see what your final build plan is and how it works for you.

Let us know!

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
This is according to ekahau....

One is the overbuilt one the other is the standard one.. note.. some of the stuff is wrong because you would turn down / off power on some 2.4 ghz radios...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0vq-5RLwenNTlkNjB3bktTbHc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0vq-5RLwenWjhydVRKYlNXbEU/view?usp=sharing

Joseph_Burnswor
New Contributor III
This is very similar to a few school district auditoriums that i have done. With 1000 students/faculty, in my mind we are looking at 3000+ devices. I like to stick around 100clients per AP do this would be 30 AP's. All set to low power in a load group.

Im sure everyone is looking the screen like "30 AP's?"

this will keep with a solid balance of the 2500+ devices that are going to be in the room. Also, AP dependent, I would also LAG the AP's, 20mghz radios's, rate limit the VNS, bridged at AP unless this is all guest traffic.

Definitely stick with the 20Mghz. You wont get multiple spacial streams to the AP, but everyone will be connected with good coverage and stable throughput

How much bandwidth do you have for internet?

if you can keep it to 1 device per student, then we can keep it to 10
AP's with all of the above settings. If they can burst to 7mb then I would limit them to 7 mb and nothing more.

Youll see the other AP's, however, with the AP group and low output levels, it should balance them accordingly. Especially with 10 AP's. 11 channels, 10 AP's 1 channel to spare 🙂

if you can keep it to 1 device per student, then we can keep it to 10 AP's with all of the above settings. If they can burst to 7mb then I would limit them to 7 mb and nothing more.

Youll see the other AP's, however, with the AP group and low output levels, it should balance them accordingly. Especially with 10 AP's. 11 channels, 10 AP's 1 channel to spare 🙂
GTM-P2G8KFN