cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixing AP 37xx, 38xx, and 39xx aps in one environment

Mixing AP 37xx, 38xx, and 39xx aps in one environment

Bryan_Donahue
New Contributor II
I have a mixture of ap models in school environments, and it seems as if the clients are showing a preference for 39xx aps over 38xx aps. In adjacent rooms where I have different types, I will have many more connections to the 39xx ap. (there are typically 20-25 chromebooks in each classrooom) and there will be 50-60 connections to the 39xx ap and 15-20 connections to the 38xx ap in the next room. Is this possible? Preventable?
13 REPLIES 13

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Um, I would assume it would be a better SNR for the other AP. Auto channel and power don't necessarily work all the time. Does the power level make sense? Do you get good RSS from clients connected to the AP and vice-versa?

What channels do you have on the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on both APs. What is the SNR for each connection from their respective locations than opposite locations? There can be hundreds of reasons! How dense is your deployment? Also, what is your MBR on the APs?

Bryan_Donahue
New Contributor II
I guess I'm just wondering if the 39xx aps provide a better looking connection to the clients than the 38xx so they choose that one instead. Or should they be equivalent as far as the client is concerned?

Bryan_Donahue
New Contributor II
I have probe suppression turned on and forced disassociation at -65Db. Power levels are auto set but are similar on all aps in a given area. Channels are also auto selected but I don't see any problems there.

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Well, you could look at probe suppression and force disassociation at -75 dB. Do you have the power levels set the same on both APs (one isn't blasting both radios at 12 dB while the other is at 5 dB). Do you have any co-channel interference that could be preventing your client from wanting to connect to that AP?
GTM-P2G8KFN