cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast WLAN issues, chromecast and spotify

Multicast WLAN issues, chromecast and spotify

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III

I have connectivity issues with multicast when I try to use chromecast and spotify. I have enabled multicast replication and configured per guide:
https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000074801

Chromecast problem is with that cannot communicate it with android phone.
Spotify problem is that cannot control spotify at amplifier from laptop. Something to do with multicast.

My test setup is one 3805i AP and V2110 controler at other location. So traffic is bridged@AP. Version 09.21.02.0014. Traffic goes inside one AP. No problems if traffic goes between wired and wireless.

No problems if I use some bulk home AP. I have not filtered any traffic. All traffic should pass. Multicast bridging enabled with 0.0.0.0/0. Issue did exist also with couple older software releases.

Any clues where to check? This should be possible as this works with bulk no name AP, but not with identifi.

19 REPLIES 19

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
Finally had some time to do some debugging.

Using wireshark I can see mDNS traffic coming from wif-interface. I can see going out from eth0 interface of the AP. If I put one device to 2.4Ghz and other to 5GHz I can see mDNS coming in from other but not going out from other channel.

I added second 3805i AP to configuration. If I connect my iPhone to AP 1. and Chromecast to AP 2. Using wireshark I can see mDNS coming from AP1 wif interface. Going out on eth0. Same time using wireshark on AP 2 I can see mDNS coming in from eth0 interface. I cannot see mDNS going out on wif interface of the AP 2.

Same behavior even I disable multicast replication and multicast bridging. Traffic looks like this:
fe80::81d:5929:13b:4926 ff02::fb MDNS 202 Standard query 0x0000 PTR _googlecast._tcp.local, "QM" question
fe80::81d:5929:13b:4926 ff02::fb MDNS 211 Standard query 0x0000 PTR _raop._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR _airplay._tcp.local, "QM" question

My conclusion is that identifi AP cannot replicate ipv6 multicast or even pass it thru if it comes from eth0 (wired interface). Even upgraded to v10 software. No change.

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
Looks like that mDNS (multicast) traffic using IPv6 is the source of the problem. I can see that traffic when connecting wireshark to AP and capturing traffic. That is traffic type what I can see.

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
No change with IOS. I can setup chromecast device and connect it to my wireless network. I can not find it after initial setup.

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
Ok. Removed the rules. Those were only for debugging.

I have not. Will try with IOS.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
I don't think that you'd need this 2 rules.
There is no deny rule so everything will be allowed ....you'd delete them.

BTW, you wrote "Chromecast ... cannot communicate with android phone" - does it work with IOS ?
GTM-P2G8KFN