Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance on Teams with Extreme Wireless

Poor performance on Teams with Extreme Wireless

VishalS
New Contributor
Hi,

We have 2 x Extreme C35 controllers with an assortment of AP3805i,AP3912i,AP3915i installed. Our switches are GB. We are experiencing an issue of poor calls for our TEAMS video and audio calls. If we switch to cable then it works fine. The Teams dashboard reports that there is high packet loss and also very high round trip time to their servers. The user experience is laggy/choppy video calls. If they only use audio then sometimes it has a audio break. This doesnt happen for everyone in the building but only certain areas. We check signal to the AP's and its fine. What can i do to pin point the issue? I was thinking that its more of an issue with the backplane as signal is fine but performance is poor. Drivers and general software is fine with the end users. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Jan_Reister
Contributor
Hi, the root cause may vary, have you checked:
  • enable end to end QoS on air and on the wired side;
  • minimize co-channel contention with a channel plan on 5Ghz;
  • lower the power of 2.4 Ghz at least 6 dBm vs 5Ghz to encourage associating and roaming to 5Ghz;
  • turno off 2.4 radios where possible;
  • consider client isolation and/ or multicast filters.
A packet capture during a Teams session will be very useful.
Cheers,
Jan

Hi. Ok we managed to find the fault. Lots of AP's (mixed models) were connecting at Wi-Fi 5 and4 even though the APs and Clients are AC. We established that the channel bandwidth set to 20Mhz was restricting Clients. Changing this to Auto immediately resolved this. Clients that were connecting at 177Mbps are now connecting at 844Mbps. This has fixed Teams issue however not entirely. A few of APs are not showing the same results. Even though we have adjusted the channel bandwidth, only certain Clients are connecting at full speeds while others are struggling. Firmware on both controller and APs are up to date as well as this impacting different models. Any ideas

I guess it depends on the terminals and their skills (brand, model, chipset, driver version, ...)

Johannes_Grewe
New Contributor II
Hi,

reduce the packet size on AP/Eth. and test again.
We had a similar problem.
But other AP hardware and other applications.

Cheers
GTM-P2G8KFN