cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with text messages and cellular phone calls

Problems with text messages and cellular phone calls

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
Since installing Extreme 3825i access points in a particular area, I have been getting complaints from a group of users (3 or more?) that they are having problems sending and receiving text messages. They also believe that they are missing incoming phone calls.

Some things to note about my configuration:
  • I am running firmware 10.01.02.0038, but I am installing 10.0.1.04.011 this evening
  • I have several AP's on this floor, all configured as a Site
  • I am using both radios
  • I use Radar and location tracking ... probably not relevant?
Full disclaimer:
  • I have had one of these AP's running on my desk for months. I have never lost a test message or missed a phone call
  • I am aware that Apple iPhones have a feature (WiFi Calling) that sends text messages and phone calls through wireless networks when they have poor signal. But this must be enabled by the user, and the users say that it's turned off!
Can anyone think of how new access points might interfere with cell phones? I couldn't find anything in GTAK or the community here. And I am fully aware that if these access points knowingly caused cellular interference ... the FCC wouldn't allow them to be sold! But I am trying to do what I can to help these users, and they say they never had a problem until my new Extreme AP's went up.

7 REPLIES 7

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
I bet my entire salary that this is just a coincidence. The FCC regulates the frequencies that the acces points can use, and they also regulate the frequencies that cellular carriers can use. None of these frequencies are interfering with the others.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Are the iPhones using iMessage or are they actually SMS texts through the carrier?

Yeah, I tried to make this point to the users. Nobody in their right might would build something that impedes cellular frequencies. I strongly believe that this is a case of a local carrier providing lousy coverage. It's looking like this problem only exists for users in this one particular area who have an iPhone. But this is a hospital and I haven't ruled out other forms of interference like radiology equipment, etc.
GTM-P2G8KFN