Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some clients disconnect after upgrade to new firmware on AP's

Some clients disconnect after upgrade to new firmware on AP's

Verus
New Contributor II
Hi,
We have two C25 controllers and I upgraded both from firmware 10.01.02.0038-1 to firmware 10.01.05.0008-1.
The upgrade went just fine, no problems with that.
After a while, the AP's also started to upgrade their firmware and then the problems started.
Some laptops lost the connection with the network.
After a reboot or reconnect in windows (drop connection and reconnect), the connection is back for a few seconds (3 - 30 seconds) and then it drops again.
I updated the drivers and firmware for the nic's on the laptops but it stays the same.
Problem seems to be with intel nic's but there are some laptops which are identical who don't have the problem so it's not clear what the problem is, but it started after upgrading the wifi controllers and AP's and this is URGENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since the problems started when the firmware was upgraded on the AP's, I think that is where the problem is.

So I started a case yesterday, until today no feedback at all...
Performed a firmware downgrade and problems are gone.
Thanks for the buggy update! our boss is very happy !!!!

12 REPLIES 12

James_A
Valued Contributor
Can you try lowering the protection rate to 2Mbps? I saw an Intel AC chipset sending RTS at 2Mbps and lowering this fixed it.

Verus
New Contributor II
Thanks,
Protection mode: Auto
Protection rate: 11 Mbps
Protection type: CTS only

James_A
Valued Contributor
You can extract the AP firmware from the controller image using 7-Zip. Random question, what's the 11g protection rate set to on radio 2?

Scott_Van_Artsd
New Contributor II
We had a similar issue with Windows laptops in SOME of our locations. Extreme supplied a new version of the code to be installed on APs only. We are currently testing that. You may want to ask your GTAC case owner about this.

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
I have had issues where the AP's were able to reach the controller, but because it was behind a NAT'd firewall, it would never complete the upgrade. That results in a "boot loop". But I would think that if the firmware was not updating, you would never be able to connect to the AP at all.

Verus, are you able to connect a console cable to the AP? You would need either a purple serial to RJ45 cable that comes with an Extreme switch - or one of those light blue cables that comes with a Cisco switch/firewall.

If you can get into the AP, try (quickly) to do a 'tail -f /tmp/log/ap.log'. Then you can start gathering clues as to what it's doing.
GTM-P2G8KFN