cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some users not receiving DHCP address via B@AP, others do ?

Some users not receiving DHCP address via B@AP, others do ?

Dewald_Botha1
New Contributor
HI all, I have an odd problem ~ C35 controller - version 10.11 3805i APs Fresh deployment PSK SSID, Bridged@AP topology Windows DHCP server Allow/Deny filter added The vast majority of users will receive IP addresses from the DHCP server with no problem at all. Some users will not receive an IP address from the server. Upon further inspection we can narrow it down like this : 1 - A user's lease expires, they are assigned a new IP address - this is visible in the DHCP active leases - but the user did not receive this address ? We can delete the lease, release/renew the client, re-associate and still no IP address. (this user had an DHCP address in the morning then they arrived - when the lease renewed, they had an error) 2 - A user comes in the morning, tries to connect and does not receive an IP address. The user(s) has an APIPA address. The user is authenticated to the WIFI The users' PC is in the DHCP allow list The user's PC is released/renewed - no change The user's PC is dissociated and reassociated - no change I have requested the lease to be changed from 8 days, to 8 hours - the client will action this afterhours. DHCP service restarted - issue remains Has anyone seen this issue before ? Any advise on where to check as I checked through logs and setting and it all seems fine. What is interesting is that out of the 100 users, about 80 of them connect to the wifi and this only happens to a random 3-6 users. Not the same users... I appreciate any responses, thanks !
21 REPLIES 21

Hello Gareth,

I think you have my case now. Still no solution. Thanks for looking into it again !

Joris

Take a look at this article which offers some guidelines on steps you can take: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-troubleshoot-a-client-MU-that-fails...

-Gareth

Dewald_Botha1
New Contributor
In my topology - what I did was remove the HP1920 switches and installed some C3 switches I had.

This apparently 'fixed' the problem. At this stage, I am happy to say that there is no config issue on the EWC, and most likely an error on the client's network somewhere else.

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
Same problem here. AP uptime was bit over 30days. Rebooted APs and after that all clients did get IP address. Setups has 3935i and 3805i APs.

V2110 10.11. B@AP, PSK.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This probably isn't going to help that much but been having exactly the same problem, although it might not be related.

When doing a packet capture from the AP from the Ethernet port and wireless interface (Only configured for 5Ghz) you can see the DHCP request go out and an offer come back and get as far as the AP's Ethernet port but it never goes out the wireless interface and therefore never reaches the client.

Sometimes if you leave the client long enough it will eventually connect.

Working on the issue at the moment and basically created a duplicate VNS and turned various things off until it started working, then enabled each one again until it failed.

At the moment I haven't isolated it down enough to find the cause but will post if / when I do.

I'm only posting this message as the same approach might help you, as well as trying these couple of things:

* Disable WMM and Flexible Client Access
* Uncheck 'Permit Inter-WLAN Service Roaming'

GTM-P2G8KFN