Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update topology to L3 disruptive?

Update topology to L3 disruptive?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Very quick question. I’ve got to make a change to a topology to use L3. Predominantly because we are also going to use that same topology for a new internal captive portal.

Example below:

ca813455348a47c0a69ebd9c450d9019_a9a7f224-1e46-4297-98c3-292c60b3fc69.png

That topology is already in use on another SSID.

Questions is, will making this L3 and applying an IP address cause any disruption?

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Martin,

Doing so, you’ll add a L3 interface to your EWC.

Possible impacts are:

• routing traffic that is not supposed to be
    • routing has to be double checked
  • asymmetric routing if there is already another default gateway (I suppose there is)
  • L3 loop (risk seems very very low here)

As conclusion, routing has to be double checked a37faf7f05cf4be8963227094259b20a_1f601.png

Mig

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bareiteraw1991
New Contributor

It is wonder to get work with latest update which help to run

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mig,

Thanks for getting back.

The EWC doesn’t currently use any other L3 interface, so going to take the plunge and enable this.

Will report back if all goes well.

Many thanks again.

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Martin,

You won’t probably get any issue but there is to few info to be sure.

The EWC is acting as a router so if you add a L3 interface he will start to route this specific VLAN.

If you have other L3 interfaces, you can route them together in the EWC without going through the core.

All is conditional as I don’t know your setup/design (use OSPF on the EWC?, how many L3 interfaces?, detailed routing table, etc.)

Mig

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mig,

Thank you for getting back to me, really appreciate it.

Hoping you can help me understand, help me make better choices.

The VLAN this topology belongs to already has a default gateway that is routing traffic as you suspect.

Any device that gets an IP address on this VLAN will maintain that information, so effectively all will stay the same, the DG will be same router.

What I’m not understanding is why and how giving the EWC topology an IP address would cause those effects.

Routing will effectively still point to the same DG i.e. 192.168.0.1. /24 is the mask. The topology L3 interface will get an IP address of 192.168.0.250.

Many thanks

Martin

GTM-P2G8KFN