Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Controller support IPv6?

Wireless Controller support IPv6?

Shuo_Tseng
New Contributor
Dear All

I have question about the Wireless controller support IPv6 issue.
Have wireless controller v9.0 support IPv6?
I mean it can do below:
1.Be a IPv6 DHCP Server?
2.The client device get a IPv6 Address and IPv6 address can be see on the active client report?

If I use extreme NAC in my IPv6 network environment, can i see a client device IPv6 IP address?
23 REPLIES 23

Michael
New Contributor
Happy new year! So it ́s 2015. Perhaps we will receive v.9.x firmware with full IPv6 support? Anyone knows more?

Michael
New Contributor
I just reread http://www.excivity.com/ComputeCycle/late-ipv6-at-shmoocon-but-why/:
  1. You have a “tunnel” between the controller and the APs. This tunnel takes all the traffic from the APs and brings it back to the controller. The controller terminates this tunnel at the controller, and then places it on the VLANs as necessary. We are currently running version 8.21, and IPv6 will be supported in the 8.31 version coming before June.
We were offered the Alpha 8.31 code from engineering

So, an early 8.31 alpha release already had some IPv6 support for the bridging through the controller?

- Well, it would be great if we could get a kind of roadmap, a timeframe, just a hint when the wlan controllers get the IPv6 support.

Best Regards
Michael

Update:
Btw, does Extremenetworks provide a kind of dynamic NAT46 gateway for that purpose?

So something like: https://github.com/festango/f5-irule-dns46-nat46
The goal "is to allow internal IPv4 hosts to communicate with ANY IPv6 only hosts by dynamically translating AAAA responses into internal only A responses and converting back to original IPv6 destination address when actual IPv4 traffic is coming through."

We are looking for IPv6 B@HWC function, we have 50 Controllers and 500 APs, we have IPv6 in all Wired Network, others WiFi vendors supports transport IPv6 thought the Controller, I kindly ask for this function,

Regards
Teo

William_Aguilar
Extreme Employee
Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately it is not that simple. Among other things the control and data planes on the controller need to be updated to be able to bridge and route IPv6 traffic. The management plane has been updated already but the other components are critical and non-trivial to update.

Michael
New Contributor
According to the CLI guide: "On the controller the Ethertype=IPv6 rule is ignored. The controller always drops IPv6 traffic. "
So, the IPv6 traffic is already going from the access point to the controller via the CAPWAP and is filtered there? So, it could work if that filter is removed? It would be great to have the possiblity to bypass this, i.e. deactivate this filter e.g. from GUI (mark the function "beta"). Give us the opportunity to test this feature and give feedback to get it fully functional in future releases.

GTM-P2G8KFN