Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP410C Roaming/Handoff "Sticky WAP" issues

AP410C Roaming/Handoff "Sticky WAP" issues

hults
New Contributor

Ciao Folks,

I have 7 AP410c’s (10.3r2 firmware) in one building and I am having Roaming/Handoff Latency or an unacceptable degree of “Sticky WAP Syndrome” with my customer’s multiple iPhone 12’s (iOS 14).

Not a problem with other devices. i.e. my iPhone 6 Plus works flawlessly while strolling, walking even running around all 10 Acres in any of the 5 buildings (total 11- AP410C’s) or outside and connected to any of 4 AP460S12C’s.

I have been through 5 or 6 long tech support sessions and implemented the many suggested adjustments; all to no avail.

The work around is to turn WiFi off/back on when moving from AP zone to AP zone.

This is wearing thin and really is not a solution as some of the users need to maintain connectivity as they move around; not an unreasonable request. 🙂

I have had them turn off Apple’s “WiFi Assist” & “Private Address” features and that has helped, but not enough.

I am at my wit’s end!

Anybody got any thoughts &/or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Ric Hults

17 REPLIES 17

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

I still cant find the Weak Signal part, but think i found the others for rate limiting.

However, while I saw not to touch MCS along, i think the rates are way to high for ac and ax, this is what ive got:

fa391afae5354013a8554b09f7f41f0a_1d572db9-50d8-4f37-a0e1-1615a35aa13a.png

the above pic is for ax.

3602.9 mbps!!  4803.x mbps…  im experiencing quite a few issues.  Ive turned off 2.4ghz off every AP except the outdoor AP1300, and the rest of our AP650(ah) seem to be having issues, the anomaly issue i put my my reply above this one.  but id rather bring down the speeds even on ax if it means im going to have less complaints and issues with the AP’s…. it only lets you toggle from 9 to 7.  whats the worse that can happen is I lower all streams to 7 on ac and ax ?

also, if anyone knows where the other setting is, the enabling probe request suppression one, id appreciate the help.

thanks,

J.

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi,

where the heck is the “Weak Signal Probe Request Suppression” setting?  i think ive looked though everything, and i just dont see it?

I got a bunch of anomaly reports, and the recommendation was “A low number of clients is causing high airtime utilization. Check your data rate configurations and consider enabling probe request suppression to prevent clients with low SNR from connecting to this AP.”

a previous article was old and out of date, so the instructions were not helpful.

I thought i could go with enabling the weak signal probe first, and then look at data rate (which i might assume is in the same place as the probe one), but i cant find those settings anywhere.

thanks,

J.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the mention Tomasz! I see we have a case open already and that we spoke yesterday and have a another call for later this week scheduled. The case is also with our top support tier already so I can’t request an escalation, but if the case stalls please feel free to let me know and I’ll follow up on it from my side of things. 

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hey Ric,

People here actually don’t have. Sharing this configuration would shed some useful light on your environment.

GTAC and Hub are two separate things. Both Extreme and non-Extreme engineers are trying to help here in their spare time. Perhaps you could provide your case number to someone from here to put additional pressure (@Sam Pirok?).

Assuming by your last message, Weak Signal Probe Request Suppression didn’t improve the situation?

I would also try to get down to 10.3r1 that several people here reported as the most stable in 10.3rX release train so far.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

hults
New Contributor

“… We have no visibility into your radio profile configs ...”

Actually you HAVE had; on at least 6 “top tier engineer” tech support phone calls …..all to no avail.

Which is why I’m pleading my case here *before* my client makes me rip out this load of garbage and replace it with a system that performs even basic WiFi functions like WiFi Calling on a standard current iPhone. (which this one *still* doesn’t do; reliably).

What happened to you Aerohive!?!?!

I swore by your WiFi Systems for well over a decade.. My first Aerohive AP’s were hand delivered by a founding engineer, 15yrs ago. Now, not so sure

Remember this?

“...  Aerohive joined Barack Obama's ConnectED initiative in October 2014, when it partnered with Apple Inc. and provided wireless connectivity to the schools receiving Apple products. ...”

Now it seems ur treating Apple(& me) like ‘a redheaded step child’.

Can we resolve this together, or what!? I would *really* like to be able to 100% trust that Aerohive Products work. (like I used to)

Best,

Ric Hults

GTM-P2G8KFN