Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP410C Roaming/Handoff "Sticky WAP" issues

AP410C Roaming/Handoff "Sticky WAP" issues

hults
New Contributor

Ciao Folks,

I have 7 AP410c’s (10.3r2 firmware) in one building and I am having Roaming/Handoff Latency or an unacceptable degree of “Sticky WAP Syndrome” with my customer’s multiple iPhone 12’s (iOS 14).

Not a problem with other devices. i.e. my iPhone 6 Plus works flawlessly while strolling, walking even running around all 10 Acres in any of the 5 buildings (total 11- AP410C’s) or outside and connected to any of 4 AP460S12C’s.

I have been through 5 or 6 long tech support sessions and implemented the many suggested adjustments; all to no avail.

The work around is to turn WiFi off/back on when moving from AP zone to AP zone.

This is wearing thin and really is not a solution as some of the users need to maintain connectivity as they move around; not an unreasonable request. 🙂

I have had them turn off Apple’s “WiFi Assist” & “Private Address” features and that has helped, but not enough.

I am at my wit’s end!

Anybody got any thoughts &/or suggestions?

Best Regards,

Ric Hults

17 REPLIES 17

sfolk
New Contributor III

@torin.mckellar we use Aerohive switches SR2348P

I upgraded two of my sites last night  to firmware version 10.3r4 will see what happens.

torin_mckellar
New Contributor II

Thanks I appreciate it, out of curiosity  @sfolk what type of switches are you using? Firmware version 10.3r3 has helped, although I still see stickiness with these devices.

sfolk
New Contributor III

@torin.mckellar I am having a similar problem with the 3500 AP 410C’s I just installed. Clients get connected but “no internet” message which seems related to DHCP after a minute or two clients get a valid IP address and work fine. I have tried every version of IQ Engine with no change in behaviour, I have a case open and sent  tech support a frame filter for DHCP  on a client showing this behaviour and sent the tech data from AP as well but not getting anywhere. This did not happen with my previous AP 550’s and I have not changed anything in my config same network policy same radio profiles.

Also having a roaming issue like @hults 

If I get anywhere with tech support I will add it here.

Regards

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Also, just for future searches, if you’re looking for a setting in XIQ and you know what it’s called, you can always click on the question mark icon towards the bottom of the left hand side bar. That will take you to the XIQ help file which has most of the features and options within XIQ documented. In this case, a search for “Weak signal probe request” gives one result, the Radio Profile Settings page. Or I’m always happy to help you find what you need, just wanted to pass that on in case it’s faster for next time!

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The Weak Signal Probe Request Suppression option is in the Radio Profile. You can find the Radio Profile you are using by going to Monitor> Devices> Click on the hostname of the AP> Go to Configure on the left hand side menu> Go to Interface Settings (below the configuration header on the left hand side menu)> Expand the wireless Interface section and select the radio you’d like to look at (wifi0 or wifi1), the radio profile in use will be listed here.

To edit the Radio Profile note the name of the object in use, then go to Configure> Common Objects> Expand Policy> Radio Profiles> Find the object name you noted earlier and click on the Radio Profile name to open that object to edit it. Please note that you won’t be able to save changes made to default objects; if you’re using a default Radio Profile and you want to make changes I’d suggest cloning it and then making your changes so you know you’re starting with the same settings as you had before. 

I don’t know enough about the MCS rates to really weigh in there, but in the past the general recommendation was to not alter the MCS rates very much at one time, just to make sure no drastic changes happened all at once on a production network. 

GTM-P2G8KFN