cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonjour protocol

Bonjour protocol

systemscsn
Valued Contributor
Sadly, we use the Bonjour protocol where I work - horrible.... horrible protocol - for things like streaming from apple devices to apple tv's, printing and so on.

Everything works fine, but i have a question.

When I go into an AP, select Configure and then Neighboring Devices,  I see the text "This setting is used for Layer 3 Roaming and Bonjour Gateway."

Below is a screenshot of that:

8c27832282d9490bad42f31063309ac1.png

I'm really not sure what that's for.  Is it for the AP's to know their other nearest AP(s) for handing off Bonjour requests?  I have Bonjour enabled within my network policy, and see within my DHCP server that it has injected an IP in all my VLANS so every network/subnet "knows" each other, so I'm trying to figure out what the above does, as well as what the "Roaming Threshold" setting does.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Jason.
2 REPLIES 2

systemscsn
Valued Contributor
Hi Sam, hope all is well with you and yours,

Thank you for the link, thats appreciated.  It explains the layer-3 part, but not about how it relates to Bonjour Gateway, and because we have that enabled and configured in our set up, im wondering about that part, and the Roaming Threshold.

If you have time to keep looking that would be awesome, I have a feeling its separate from the layer-3 roaming, just because of the wording of that line.  "and Bonjour Gateway".  Dont you think?  If you are busy, which im sure you are, please dont knock yourself out, its not like im experiencing issues, its just last year Bonjour seemed "off".. but then again, its a horrible protocol...  So horrible that Apple dropped (and didnt publicize it very well) their implementation of Wide Area Bonjour quite a few years back (them trying to make the protocol routable on its own).

Happy Friday Sam,
Jason.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey Jason, hope your week is going well! Does this article cover what you need to know? If not, just let me know and I'll keep looking!
GTM-P2G8KFN