cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta and Complete config update fails

Delta and Complete config update fails

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

This started way before summer, and I thought it was fixed.

I made a minor change to the power on wifi1 interface (but basically any change i make), select the device, click on Update Device.  Leave the default Update Network Policy and Configuration » Delta Configuration Update checked.  I see the progress bar area show Queued for a few seconds, and then Device Update Failed is displayed next to the AP.

Hovering my pointer on the Device Failed to Update, i see this “Could not generate CLI configuration.  Execute Method failed, with class”…………………….

Here are all the steps I tried, all of which failed:

1. I rebooted the AP, once it came back up, i tried a Delta Configuration Update.  It failed.
  1. I tried a Complete Configuration Update on the AP.  It failed.
  1. Rebooted the AP again, once it came back up I tried a Complete Configuration Update. It failed.
  1. Went into the Aruba 2920 switch, disabled the port that the AP is plugged into (its like unplugging the AP), waited 10 minutes and then re-enabled the port.  Once the AP came back up I tried a Delta Configuration Update.  It failed.
  1. Went back into the Aruba 2920 switch, disabled the same port again, waited 10 minutes and then re-enabled the port.  Once the AP came back up I tried a Complete Configuration Update.  It failed.

This is insane.  This issue is going on with any of my 160 AP’s, doesn't matter what change I've made to the AP, whether its changing the channel its on, or the power on one of the interfaces.  I remember when this first reared its ugly head,  we just had the banner show up at the top of the web interface, stating it had been upgraded (IQ Engine?).  We have not changed our network infrastructure in any way, so I'm absolutely positive its nothing we have done.

I need to make small changes to most the AP’s on campus.  I need to fine tune all of our AP’s because of Cross Channel Interference, and so need to make changes with power and channels on the AP’s.  This issue is holding me back.

How can this be resolved?  We have 160 AP’s most of them are attached to the ceilings, so whatever the fix, it better not involve grabbing a paperclip, ladder and interrupting classes.

Whats going on?  this is an AP650(AH), and all I did this time, was change the power from Auto to 5db.

I didnt realize my issue was still going on.  But it never happened until an ExtremeIQ update (i remember seeing a banner ages ago, and thats when this started).  The AP is running 10.0.r5.

Any help to get this resolved that does require a paperclip and ladder is appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

UPDATE and Possible Solution.

Let me start by saying the “fix” I was told to do, was to basically set the AP back to factory.  After that, of course, id have to go back into it and give it a name, its original IP (no im not doing reservations), apply its network policy, and do a complete update.  For 140+ AP’s that is not a very good fix, and quite honestly if other AP’s on the same firmware, plus the same model of AP were not failing, then of course this would work.

The reason I was given for the error, and something i’m very… VERY… upset about, was that when the backend was updated - im thinking multiple times - from Hive to ExtremeIQ, it messed something up on our end because of the version of firmware we are running.  While i do believe it was something done on the backend (we had not made any changes on anything, network, AP, server related on our end) that for reasons i dont know, messed up most of our AP’s so they wouldn't do any kind of update, i dont think im convinced it was our firmware version.  Because if that were true then all of our AP’s on that version would fail, and they are not.  However im mad because if they went into updating the backend knowing it could mess up a customers AP’s, then an email to their customers telling them to upgrade to whatever version would have been appropriate, and i know I never received an email of a possible issue with their backend messing my AP’s up!  To me, there was a basic lack of any kind of Quality Assurance when the backend was updated/migrated from Hive to XIQ and for that someone should take a spanking.

While they have escalated my support ticket, i have found a workaround.  For any AP thats failing to Update, and has those errors about Bonjour.  You MUST go into the AP, click on Configure and then select Bonjour Gateway Settings.  Make sure you have the default value of 250 in the Priority Field (some of mine were either blank or had 10 as the value), Check the box for “Override the default realm name”, then Save the Bonjour Settings, Click on Update, Delta and then Update.

That seems to fix the issue.  Of course, you can never uncheck that box, or the error will come back (and it doesn't matter what version of firmware running).

basically its getting that realm name from your Network 360 Plan, if you have created one, and placed the AP on its map.  You wont see the update failed message if you have a value in Priority and dont have the AP within the Network 360 Plan.

This whole thing has been a pain, and will continue to be a pain until ive gone through every AP we have and make that change.

Once I've gone though that nightmare, i plan on upgrading the firmware to the latest version, even though i can only update them after hours - which is going to take an age to do -.  To think this all came about from wanting to reduce the Transmission Power.  Speaking of which, i did that on an AP that I made the above change to, and while it took the update, wifi0 is still showing auto instead of 5db, which i set it to.  So, who knows, maybe checking the box gets rid of the error message, but doesn't update… really…..  personally i think it just takes an age for the XIQ interface to reflect the changes on the AP, so i’m leaving it alone, and carrying on clicking!

Hope this helps the next poor bugger that may get this issue.

Ill post again if the person who got my escalated support ticket gets back to me with a better, less manual way to fix this problem.

Best,

Jason.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Thats what kicked off my questions in my other post why im seeing devices connected to wifi0, and yet the advanced channel shows it as down/disabled.

I SSH’d into one of the AP’s, ran that commands, here:

2f4d1708afc14b08b008b86bc9ef281b_bf9e283b-90f4-40da-b6d7-fb936abff4b9.png

2f4d1708afc14b08b008b86bc9ef281b_b4f3a2be-c637-4d42-84d2-b8bdcf10537b.png

Not sure what the difference is from AT that you have and AF that mine is showing.

You may want to move your post and mine, over to the other post, up to you.

Thanks,

J

daniel1
Contributor

The command is to verify if the AP itself is running the power you set in XIQ on both radios WIFI0 and WIFI1, you can also get this data via XIQ => Select AP => Utilities => Status => Advanced Channel Selection.

One thing which just came into my mind, do your AP650 get proper POE+ ( 802.3at ) power from the switch? If it’s only POE ( 802.3af ) then not all radios are powered up.

You can verify that with “show system power mode” and “show system power status” like here on one of mine:

5b7229a3a9f84961a06ff6cce0de9ed9_a4f786cb-7b39-470c-948e-58297da9b144.png

This would explain why XIQ is just showing Auto, due to a not powered up WIFI0 radio.

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Yes it is odd.  

You are probably right abotu them wanting to use Auto power.  The thing that bothers me, is the sales pitch of Ai Powered, self healing, and honestly ive yet to see that..... if it was so smart i wouldn't be dealing with Cross Channel Interference, or devices blasting their signal and needing to lower the transmission power - kicking off this massive issue...

But to answer your question, on the main XIQ interface - Manage » Devices that is where it pretty much always shows Auto for wifi0 and and actual power setting on wifi1 - even if wifi1 is set to auto (which tells me thats what wifi0 should be doing).

BUT, if i go into the AP whose power I had changed, it does show what id set it to.  So if i set wifi0 to 16db, and go back into the AP it will show that and not auto.  Its only on the Devices page that it still shows Auto.

Whats stranger is that it doesn't do that for all AP’s.  Our AP1130 Outdoors show their values just fine.  The second one down in the picture my post that you responded to, thats an outdoor AP1130 and you can see its displaying its power properly.  Im really starting to think its the AP650(AH)’s that may be the issue here.

I have not run that command directly on an AP.  Although i dont know if i have to, as id said, if you go back into an AP that I changed the Transmission Power on, it does reflect that change, just not on the Devices Interface of XIQ.

Strange or what?

thanks for getting back to me Daniel, appreciated,

Jason.

daniel1
Contributor

Hmm that’s strange, because we have all APs set to Auto power and I see exactly the value each AP / WIFI0/1 is running on.

Is it just under Manage - Devices that the change isn’t visible or also in the AP interface setting where you actually set the value?

So I think they are really trying to push you into doing this via Radio Profiles, versus on the device via the XIQ interface.

I don’t think so, imho they are encouraging to use auto power setting and use manual values on AP level as few as possible.

No you don’t set ranges, just the maximum. The range I mentioned is from the auto setting, where each AP sets the transmission power automatically based on its neighbor APs signal strength.

When you set the power manually on an AP, then I think it will use this value forever and not change it, regardless what you configured in the radio profile (just a guess, never tried/used it).

As mentioned in the beginning of this post, I think this is more a bug in XIQ than intended behaviour.

What’s the output of AP cli command “show acsp”? Does the “Tx power (dbm)” value reflect the manually set value?

GTM-P2G8KFN