cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mDNS not working with AP230

mDNS not working with AP230

GavinC
New Contributor
I'm currently a Ubiquiti user, looking to move house and will need better wireless coverage. So I've purchased (used) 3 Aerohive AP230 access points to replace my single Unifi AP-AC-Lite, and configured them with the free ExtremeCloud IQ Connect tier, updated to the latest 10.4r4 firmware, etc.

So far almost everything is working well; the SSIDs, PSKs, VLANs etc are all matched up so one of the APs is a drop-in replacement for each other as far as clients. If I plug in the Unifi and unplug the AP230 clients connect to the Unifi, swap them around and after a few seconds everything reconnects back to the AP230.

The only issue I currently have is printing. My printer only does 2.4GHz wireless so it's on the separate "IoT" SSID/VLAN from my laptop/desktop. My firewall (OPNsense) runs an mDNS repeater across these two VLANs so devices can be located, and the firewall rules allow all traffic into the IoT VLAN. With the Unifi AP connected and all my devices connected to their SSIDs on this access point, mDNS works. I am able to ping my printer through its .local hostname, I can print via AirPrint, it shows up in an mDNS browser (for example the HE.net Network Tools app).

However, as soon as I unplug the Unifi and plug in the AP230, mDNS breaks. I can still ping the printer by IP address (so it's connecting OK) but the .local hostname no longer resolves, AirPrint shows the printer as offline, and the HE.net app no longer shows it.

I'm aware that because I'm on the free tier of Extreme Cloud IQ, I don't have the "Bonjour Gateway" functionality available to me - however I believe that because my firewall is doing the mDNS repeating between VLANs, I don't think I need this functionality because I don't also need the AP to be repeating mDNS traffic between VLANs? Is that correct?

Anyone have any ideas where I could look to try and diagnose this, as a complete Aerohive/Extreme newbie? Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

AreckD
Extreme Employee

Hello,

Do you have a local DNS configured for the aps?

Also do you have the dhcp server for the scope configured to associate with that same DNS?

GTM-P2G8KFN