cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFS channels unavailble due to RADAR interferance, best way to use NON DFS channels

DFS channels unavailble due to RADAR interferance, best way to use NON DFS channels

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
We have an extreme wireless configuration (5210 controller and ap 3805 ) and had been using the additional DFS channels.
These Ap's are giving us alarms about RADAR.. Ok we are near an local Airport so I can understand this . So my question is , now we do not have the 4 additional channels , what is the best way to use the 4 available non DFS Channels, small cells ? still using the auto channel selection with low power ?

We have just checked the internet and can see that Weather Radar works between 4 -8GHz.. working with our 5Ghz for Wireless..

Any comments and advice , would be apprecieted
8 REPLIES 8

Hi

Basically its about have more channels that we can use , if the DFS channels are getting scanned , then basically we need to use only non DFS channels , which then to get coverage etc , we will need to create smaller cells , to meet our capacity requirements.

Ostrovsky__Yury
Extreme Employee
Hello Rod . The 3805 AP should support about 10 DFS channels . Do you see the DFS events on all those channels?
If you have ExtremeManagement , you can set email notification to see and track the DFS events , so it will be easier to make a decision later - e.g. exclude those DFS channels which giving problem.

My customer has now set up that the channel change creates an alarm , hopefully we will be able to create a list of affected AP's and where they are located , we have 800+ AP currently on the system ..

Douglas_Novell
Extreme Employee
Hi Rod,

Sites utilizing 5ghz should have a Site Survey performed for optimal coverage based on data requirements. This is imperative.

With that said, DFS channels should be removed as available channels to avoid client disruption.

Suggested 5ghz channel list for US country code with DFS (UNII2) channels removed.

channel-list 5GHz 36,40,44,48,149,153,157,161,165
GTM-P2G8KFN