cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme to Acquire Zebra's WLAN Business

Extreme to Acquire Zebra's WLAN Business

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
By now, you've probably heard the news - Extreme Networks has agreed to acquire the WLAN business from Zebra Technologies.
Here's an announcement about this from our CEO, Ed Meyercord.

You can read more here:
What are your thoughts on this acquisition? We're excited about it, and I hope you are too!

-Drew
11 REPLIES 11

Ryan_Mathews
Extreme Employee
There will be on-going updates on this topic from our Product Management team as the WLAN roadmap solidifies. As those announcements are made, Drew will be sure to keep the Community informed.

Here are the SW and HW EoL Dates on the Summit WM Series:
    Software End of Life date -- 12/30/2016 Hardware End of Life date -- 6/30/2020
Obviously 12/30/2016 will be here shortly, but for clarification that is just for SW. Your HW can still be covered with a maintenance agreement (gets you access to GTAC and RMA coverage) through 2020.

The corresponding last major release for the Wireless Mobility (WM) OS is 5.5.

Here is screen capture and link to that specific WM Announcement.

07408d8f3ce74f989817c2409bfce330_RackMultipart20161205-40211-uv7yp2-extrcdn_extremenetworks_com_wp-content_uploads_2015_07_Summit_Altitude_WLAN_Product_EoS-Announcement09_30_2014_pdf_inline.jpg

http://extrcdn.extremenetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Summit_Altitude_WLAN_Product_EoS-Annou...

Curtis_Brabham
New Contributor III
Does this mean we'll be able to put our existing Extreme branded WM3x00 controllers back under maintenance and get current/future software releases for them? I'd also like to know if this means we'll be able to purchase 802.11ac AP's for the existing controllers. I have a mix of identiFi and WiNG in my environment. The identiFi deployment is actually happening right now (replacing some REALLY OLD WM100's and AP350's). If I can save some money on the remaining infrastructure by just replacing AP's on the WiNG deployment that would be awesome.

Hey Curtis,

I talked to your Account Team this morning and they'll definitely be in touch. Sounds like we have a few options. They'll ensure we find a Product/Service strategy that works for you going forward.

Thanks, Ryan. He reached out to me the other day. I'm anxiously, but patiently awaiting further information. I expect others are as well. 🙂

GTM-P2G8KFN