cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much square footage do you usually estimate a single Extreme AP7532 covers?

How much square footage do you usually estimate a single Extreme AP7532 covers?

Jacob_Airov
New Contributor III
I have a new warehouse in which we rent 10,000 sq ft and would like to provide Wifi for our scanner guns to work from.
This site is fairly far and am trying to save on the travel expenses.
I would like to try to estimate how many APs is needed to give them sufficient Wifi coverage.
There will be normal warehouse racking stacked with product and the ceiling is looking to be around 60ft high.

Is there good method to estimating how many APs they are going to need if we're going to use an Extreme AP7532?
9 REPLIES 9

Bin
Extreme Employee
Agree with " Robert Zarzycki ", site survey is one of useful ways to estimate AP.

Then, the next question will be which tool should I use. Maybe there is no right answer.
I like to use Ekahau. You could read the follow blog from Ekahau.

https://www.ekahau.com/blog/2015/09/16/ekahau-site-survey-heatmap-visualizations-part-10-number-of-a...

Hope it will help!

Norwin_Uy
New Contributor
We have a 30k sqft warehouse with a similarly high ceiling. Our guns do basic terminal emulation and have older 802.11g radios. I implemented 6 WiNG 7532s spaced strategically, with only 4 mapped to the SSID that's serving the RF guns. Coverage has been fantastic. As others have said, a site survey would be ideal, but these APs can get you going especially if your primary network need is simple (like terminal emulation).

Timo1
New Contributor II
Number 7 with the same information...

Do a WiFi design, do you have knowledge of this? You can do a simulation. If not, get knowledge, do a training what ever.

You can read this, step 1 and 2 are important for you, for now. You can also check this.

During the older days you do a lot of site surveys. AP on a Stick, walking on site and check all locations. Today I don't do this in 90% of my customers.

Just doing Simulations, but you need knowledge for this.

Biggest problem on WiFi, it mostly works, also with very poor designs. But a good design gives you a better WiFi and saves money. Sometimes it saves a lot of money!

All answers before have right informations. But most important is, that you know what you do.

Do a "site survey" with the end device, great information, but bad to document.
Do a "site survey" with a tool like Ekahau or AirMagnet, great to document, but don't forget to compare it to you end device.
Do a "simulation" with a tool like Ekahau or AirMagnet, very flexible, but you need knowledge.

Use a vendor tool from the producer of the APs? I'm not a fan of this, mostly marketing/sell stuff, not technical stuff.

But based on your basically request, I'll recommend to search for a local WiFi dealer and request a simulation or site survey from this company. Maybe the best solution for you. If you get more request like this, do a ECSE training. Perfect information for starters, a lot of CWNA stuff and not just Ekahau stuff.

Shay_Weir
New Contributor II
Setting an AP at a default power of 10, the coverage starts lifting off the floor at around 35 feet. Your design will need to include setting AP height to 60, adjust your power up to about 15-17 if not 20 to force the signal down low enough. Also, DO NOT use the smart-rf policy to manage this. Static all power and channels.

Rack height, number of and space between them also will play onto your design. Airmagnet and others will allow you to draw in the resistance for the racks. Set them to high density for max attenuation.

You will will be deploying a very high density of APs to provide good coverage.

Airmagnet is my choice for doing these. As stated above, you need a very good detailed floor plan to start with. That is the key. Rely on your support staff on site to provide pictures of the environment so you get a clear understanding of what you are about to deploy.
GTM-P2G8KFN