Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KRACK attack on WPA2

KRACK attack on WPA2

Johannes_Dennin
New Contributor
Hello everyone,
I have some questions due to the expected disclosure today on the attack possible on WPA2 SSIDs.
US-CERT has become aware of several key management vulnerabilities in the 4-way handshake of the Wi-Fi Protected Access II (WPA2) security protocol. The impact of exploiting these vulnerabilities includes decryption, packet replay, TCP connection hijacking, HTTP content injection, and others. Note that as protocol-level issues, most or all correct implementations of the standard will be affected. The CERT/CC and the reporting researcher KU Leuven, will be publicly disclosing these vulnerabilities on 16 October 2017.

Link: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/severe-flaw-in-wpa2-protocol-leaves-wi-fi-tra...

- Is Extreme aware of this?
- Are Fixes ready to be released?
- Is a software fix sufficient or does hardware need to be replaced?

Thanks and best regards,

Johannes
84 REPLIES 84

In the Zebra / Wing 5.8x platform management console, Fast Roaming features (Security) are configured in separate sections of 802.11r - Fast BSS Transition (Advanced option of Wireless Network config)

802.11r handshake is susceptible to the KRACK attack as per the inforamtion in the paper here: https://papers.mathyvanhoef.com/ccs2017.pdf (paper link credit to Daniel Bernhardt)

Jacob_Airov
New Contributor III
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New WPA2 vulnerability - any patches for Wing systems yet?. Hi all,

I was just checking with the new WPA2 vulnerability hitting the news stream yesterday, is there any patches / fixes released yet from Extreme?

We're using the older Wing v5.8 (Zebra) systems.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Jacob,
I merged your topic into this one. Ondrej responded there pointing you to this article with full details: VN2017-005 - KRACK, WPA2 Protocol Flaw
Patches are expected to be released by the end of the week.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hello everyone.The VN has been updated with more complete information. It will continue to be updated as needed. I'll also post here when updates are made. When I get back to the office tomorrow, I'll work on getting an email sent out to the subscribers of the notification service.

VN2017-005 - KRACK, WPA2 Protocol Flaw
GTM-P2G8KFN