Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with AP650 being adopted by RFS6000

Problems with AP650 being adopted by RFS6000

GUTAN_Flaviu
New Contributor
Hello,

For 2 years, we have APs failing to reconnect to our RFS after programmed electricity cut. They are shown as offline in Wing and phisically the Amber led is blinking every 2 sec. or so and the green led is off. I tried connecting them directly to the RFS but nothing changed. We bought 3 more APs on e-bay and we have the same issue. Tried to reset the AP using the Motorola_AP_Discovery_Tool but I see the AP connecting to the RFS and then disconnecting itself 3 or 4 seconds later. For now we have at least 5 unusable APs all with the same symptoms. Any help or advice would be appreciated as we still have to continue with this infrastructure for atl least 8 months. Thank you
35 REPLIES 35

Andrew_Webster
New Contributor III
Flashing amber every couple of seconds indicates loss of communication with the controller (unadopted).

As far as why your are loosing adoption, a full troubleshooting session would be required to figure out why this is happening.

GUTAN_Flaviu
New Contributor
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your answer. We do try to keep all of our equipments updated but wifi infrastructure somehow slipped between our fingers. Anyway it is weird that some of our APs suddenly loose the adoption after a reboot. Does the blinking amber led every 2 or 3 senconds mean a firmware problem? We did not find this kind of behavior in any ReleaseNotes we've read.

Andrew_Webster
New Contributor III
Gutan,

Sorry, I just can't answer that because I don't know your environment. You'd probably want to hire a wireless expert to manage this type of upgrade, as you may not be able to go straight to that version (or preferable the latest version) without passing through certain intermediate versions. What I can say is that keeping up to date with the current versions is good IT practice for many reasons, both from an operational and security perspective. In addition, it allows you to add current model APs to your system without having to resort to secondary markets like ebay and the challenges associated with that.

GUTAN_Flaviu
New Contributor
Ok Andrew,

We do have a version 5.7.0.0-057R that we never took the time to install. Do you really think that upgrading to this version will solve our issues?

Andrew_Webster
New Contributor III
It looks like you've found the problem!

The good news is that it is possible to convert older OEMed AP650s, but I think this is onfirmware 5.7.0 and above, so you'd definitely need to get maintenance to get access to these versions.

Check here for more info: http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/release_notes/wing/WiNG_v5_7_Release_Notes.pdf

GTM-P2G8KFN