cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming across AP6521 and AP7522

Roaming across AP6521 and AP7522

steve_kemball
New Contributor III
Due to the end of sale of AP6521 I am now encountering the situation where customers require additional access points. The scenario is AP6521 with Virtual Controller installed in a warehouse and now needs some additional access points. If I propose AP7522 with Virtual Controller will there be roaming problems when devices roam across the two models? devices will be running Wavelink TelnetCE. Any thoughts appreciated, Regards Steve

10 REPLIES 10

Thanks Edmundo, I hadn't thought about ConnctPro to provide session persistence. They will be MC9000. Around 8 new APs going in. I think adding a controller is the best option to bring all access points under a single management. If it was only 1 or 2 APs that might be a hurdle cost-wise

rmu
New Contributor III
hi,

my experience showed me that the best for your situation will be installing a controller (vx, rfs4k or nx) to use all features and roaming assist implementations of wing.

otherwise your clients will behave like darrel wrote.

nr
richard

steve_kemball
New Contributor III
Thanks Richard. I agree its the sensible approach

Darrel_Rhodes
Extreme Employee
Hi Steve, as I understand it you will effectively be running two separate Wi-Fi networks and therefore when clients need to roam they will disconnect from one LAN and need to re-associate with the other LAN.

Wi-Fi roam-assist mechanisms such as 802.11k, r and v are usually implemented in the controller software and as the virtual controllers won't be aware of the other APs, these mechanisms won't operate.

Have you considered implementing a Wireless LAN Controller (e.g. RFS4000) that can adopt both the older and new APs to remedy this situation?

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Darrel.

My pleasure Steve! Please let me know if you need any further assistance or help with the procurement of a controller. If you run virtualisation software, the VX is great value.
GTM-P2G8KFN