cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiNG captive portal re-authentication timeout

WiNG captive portal re-authentication timeout

gluo
New Contributor II
Hi, I have setup a captive portal on a VX9000 and I noticed that every day the user has to re-enter the username and password. Is there a way to remain authenticated for as long as the user is valid? Also is there a way to un-authorize a certain user from the captive portal?
13 REPLIES 13

gluo
New Contributor II
Hi,

Does the mac address need to be manually added or it could be added automatically once the user first authenticates via CP?

Ondrej_Lepa
Extreme Employee
Hello Konstantinos,

correct - Captive Portal service can maintain authenticated users for 24 hours top.

In theory you might workaround it using CP as fallback and mapping AAA-policy as primary authentication method for a WLAN.
I.e. using authentication based on MAC and AAA you might be able to drive first attempt towards RADIUS server and if this fails, Captive Portal based authentication as fallback.
However, once user gets authenticated and its MAC is withing authenticated, second connection should be first tested against RADIUS server who already know this MAC and there is no need to use CP fallback.

Regards,
Ondrej

gluo
New Contributor II
Thank you for the swift reply!

Ondrej_Lepa
Extreme Employee
Hello Konstantinos,

based on your Captive Portal design you may either use access time value / timeout

20b5498c676e4ec390bf1faf0c435b71_RackMultipart20170215-43416-olf4wl-Captive1_inline.png

Or if it is driven by RADIUS (internal) you may change RADIUS group attributes

20b5498c676e4ec390bf1faf0c435b71_RackMultipart20170215-8708-v0ar6l-Captive2_inline.png

If you want to de-authenticated Captive Portal users you may do it through Statistics - Captive Portal.

Please find Captive Portal How to Guide under this link for more details.

Regards,
Ondrej

GTM-P2G8KFN