cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have tips for converting from Cisco to Enterasys?

Anyone have tips for converting from Cisco to Enterasys?

Benjamin_West
New Contributor
Hi. I am Benjamin West. I am the IT Manager at Ross Environmental Services in Elyria, OH. We are a relatively new Enterasys customer who are in the process of converting over from a Cisco network. I am interested in learning more about the Enterasys solution. I am specifically looking for information on tips from converting from a Cisco environment, integration with VMWare, and how people are taking advantage of Netsight and NAC. Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Welcome to The Hub! Would you please introduce yourself to the community? topic.
11 REPLIES 11

John_Kaftan
New Contributor III
Policy and NAC are not for the faint of heart. You'll want to take the policy class and give yourself a ton of time for testing etc. It's so cool though.

Ian_Lyons
New Contributor
Hi Benjamin I am cisco training and used Cisco for years before going to an Art College in New England. While the syntax is very similar, live in the "show ?" or command ? world for awhile and the small changes will make sense. As others said before me the real benefit is Policy (so much better than ACL's-OR view them as ACL's on streroids) and Netsite. Throw in Inventory manager and with the trifecta you can save configs, push restores, review past configs, make large scale changes seamlessly. As to LAG's it depends on what you are connecting to, some do static other dynamic..there is a best practices guide @ entersys that spells out the commands. IT works. We have 2 c7000 chassis with flex 10/VCEM switch that are lagged. One with 4 10gb links and another chassis with 12 1gb links (age of switch) lagged. But the crowning glory is really GTAC. Cant say enough positive things about the crew over there. Something you wont know for awhile is that GTAC doesnt change much, I have been using Enterasys for 8 years and know more than 1/2 the crew by voice and first name...*8* years later. Good product that does what it needs to do and is supported.

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Benjamin Firstly, well done on selecting the best networking kit around  I have done a few Cisco to Enterasys migrations and like all the comments above, as long as you stick to open standards the transition should be smooth. If I can make one comment, the policy side (policy manager ect) is the most power full tool, use it to the extreme. I have seen alot of ex cisco network clients installing Enterasys Kit but never utilizing it to its full potential, by not using the policy side. Regards

Mohammed_Kuhail
New Contributor
Hi All, I think the integration can be easy and simple if you are using standard protocol which usually not the case. since many customers they implement Cisco proprietary protocols like EIGRP, PVSTP+ and so on. the step is easy. - Usually Cisco never tag the VLAN 1 unless you change the native VLAN. which may you have to considered it. - Cisco switch always run per vlan STP for VLAN 1 in simulation mode even if you configure switch to use MST - use MST or Rapid STP. - use LAG - convert layer 3 protocol to OSPF. which usually can done smoothly via running two routing protocol in Cisco switch. the only tips you have to change default administrative distance (AD) Eigrp should be the preferred till you are ready for migration and make OSPF the preferred.
GTM-P2G8KFN