cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade path from Extreme Management Center 8.5.7.28

Upgrade path from Extreme Management Center 8.5.7.28

Keith9
Contributor III

We have some ubuntu VMs on prem for Extreme Management Center and Analytics and the version is 8.5.7.28.  They work fine but they come up as older software according to Crowdstrike Falcon Protect (its NGAV is on everything, including these ubuntu vms). 

Whats the upgrade path here?  Can I snapshot it and upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, possibly reverting snapshot if it doesnt work?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Let me clarify:

The XMC customer with valid support contract ending on day X can be transitioned to Site Engine with subscription ending on day X.

A valid maintenance contract was always required to access to upgrades, new versions, and new features.

Regards Zdeněk Pala

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee

the Extreme Management Center is end-of-software-maintenance and will be end-of-support this year.

Strongly recommend transitioning to Site Engine.

Regards Zdeněk Pala

Robert_Haynes
Extreme Employee

The licensing for ExtremeCloud IQ - Site Engine has changed to a subscription model. You would first have to work with your @extreme sales or partner team on acquiring suitable subscription licenses for your deployment before any consideration to upgrade.

See ...

https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000094600

https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000106821

If you are not running these VM's on a supported hypervisor platform (i.e. not vSphere/ESXi or Hyper-V) then the support of the OS is the responsibility of the customer. We do not currently support Ubuntu 22.04, only 20.04.

Oh so they are pulling a Broadcom and destroying it (akin to Broadcom working to destroy VMWare)?

No thanks.  Subscription is not our thing.  We'll run it into the ground, maybe put it in its own VLAN behind a Palo Alto and only let nessesary ports through.  Our budget is maxed out and wait until we have to renew vmware in 2026.  We'll probobly have to forklift our entire infrastructure to Hyper-V.

Too many companies loose site over what a customer really wants.  Maybe we'll have a custom syslog email us on OSPF / Fan / Power Supply state changes etc..

We could also go back to an Excel spreadsheet on keeping the versions the same.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

@Keith9 wrote:

Oh so they are pulling a Broadcom and destroying it (akin to Broadcom working to destroy VMWare)

I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

GTM-P2G8KFN