cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the ARP and MAC table limits on x440 and x460G2?

What are the ARP and MAC table limits on x440 and x460G2?

Germán_Persello
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I'd like to know the ARP and MAC table limits on both the x440 and x460G2, and I wanted to know if there's a per-VLAN limit for MAC addresses or if it's more of a 'global' limit.

Thanks!

Germán.

15 REPLIES 15

Ok, I see it's a more complicated scenario. Thanks for explaining how EXOS works in this case, you've been really helpful.

No.

EXOS has several patents in order to manage cleverly such scenario. In such a case, the x440's would still be limited to 509 (no miracle), but the x460-G2 could use their HW limit. EXOS would then try to figure out what would be the most used 509 entries for the x440 to optimize their usage. Of course, this would require some CPU work in order to fit the most used 509 entries in the x440, and if you really need more than 509 ARP, a lot of slow path forwarding would happen (CPU forwarding).

In the case of L3, I'd not recommend to mix such different platforms if you need more than the x440 L3 capacity.

Ok thanks, so if I make a combined stack of x460G2 and x440 the limit would also be 509? (last one, I promise)

Considering n x440 in a stack, that would be 509 for the whole stack.

Just a quick one though... How do these limits work in a stack? Say, two x440, do I get a combined limit of 1018 ARP entries or is it a strictly per-device limit?
GTM-P2G8KFN