cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the correct xOS address-based algorithm for VMWare ESXi?

What is the correct xOS address-based algorithm for VMWare ESXi?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am migrating from a Dell switch stack to a stack of X440 switches. I have 3 VMware ESXi hosts to attach to the stack; each host uses a link aggregate of 6 physical connections.

VMware's knowledge base states that ESXI only supports an "IP HASH" load sharing algorithm. This is a Cisco term that does not appear in the xOS documentation.

My SummitStack will support address-based load sharing, but what is the correct algorithm for ESXi?

You can use the default (L2) but then ESXi won't perform the load sharing, which defeats the purpose of having a link aggregate.

The Dell switch stack uses "Source IP address and source port". There is no corresponding xOS algorithm.

L3 uses both the source and destination IP Addresses; L3_L4 uses the source and destination IP addresses and ports.

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
@PatrickVoss I'm guessing that "show port xxx utilization" where xxx is a list of all ports on the LAG will tell me if traffic is being sent out multiple ports? "show port sharing" shows a more or less equal number of link up transitions among the LAG members.

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the legend of "show port #:# sharing" I see "L3-and-L4" as a custom algorithm option. But this doesn't appear to be any different from the standard L3_L4 algorithm.

After configuring a group with L3_L4 load sharing and connecting a host to it, the host is communicating with the vCenter server (running on a host still connected to the Dell switches), but there are HA related issues that I want to hear back from VMware about before coming to any conclusions.

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
You can also configure a custom algorithm to only use source or destination addresses. The commands below will set the custom algorithm, then create a LAG using the custom algorithm

configure sharing address-based custom ipv4 source-only enable sharing 1 grouping 1-2 algorithm address-based custom Note that this will only use the L3 address, not the L4 port.

You can find more information on this in the EXOS User Guide, under Link Aggregation Standard and Custom Algorithms.

-Brandon

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Sounds like the L3_L4 will work for your setup. Have you tested it to see if traffic is being sent out multiple ports with this setup?

Hernandez__Josh
Extreme Employee
Hello Ssimpson,

I would suggest the following KB article to assist you in addressing this question:

How do I configure EXOS for NIC teaming with route based on an IP hash in ESXi?

I hope this helps.
GTM-P2G8KFN