cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless controller cluster

Wireless controller cluster

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
What is the maximum number of wireless controllers that can be clustered together?
Also what is the maximum number of Wireless controllers that can be managed by Netsight?
6 REPLIES 6

Doug
Extreme Employee
We support up to 12 controllers in a mobility domain. You will want to make sure you are careful when setting up large mobility domains. If a user starts out in subnet x and roams to a controller with the same SSID that is in subnet y, all the broadcast traffic for x and y now have to be sent by the ap's radio. So if the broadcast domains are large to start, you could be doubling the broadcasts a radio has to send.

I know that 12 controllers with 5000 ap's was the last number I had seen tested against NetSight. If you require more testing, I would suggest you work with your Extreme Sales Rep to help get a deployment of that size confirmed by our Product Management Team.

Doug Hyde
Sr Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

hsachse
New Contributor III
Ok, know this limits. So for example in a setup with 12 controllers you would need 6 availbility pairs to support fast failover for all wireless connections.

Doug
Extreme Employee
If it's access points it's the max total the unit you are using supports. Access points that configured locally support x with the ability to keep y running in failover (total number of access points per product)

https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/986940/RackMultipart20131118-15422-cqcvp5-Controller...

-Doug
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

hsachse
New Contributor III
And what is the limit for the avaibility with fast failover setup?
GTM-P2G8KFN