cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

1 AP250 out of 20 at one site is having trouble providing network access. Devices can connect to it and receive an IP but they will lose any sort network access. What should I be looking at? Please help

1 AP250 out of 20 at one site is having trouble providing network access. Devices can connect to it and receive an IP but they will lose any sort network access. What should I be looking at? Please help

matt_nissen
New Contributor

At one of our sites we have 1 AP250 that is having trouble with network passthrough. Every device should be configured with a standard the previous tech should have put in place but I found that every device is configured independently from the actual radio profile.

This device in particular didn't have the Native VLAN values needed...which after I entered, every device was able to finally get an IP and work!

Now devices that are connected to it will stay connected but seem to lose any network access (can't reach internet, company shares etc...)

This AP has apparently been a problem for the users near it for a couple years and IT is now finding out about it..... the application guys have just been telling the users to reboot a million times.

Looking at immediate errors or diagnostics show nothing but good values...

Any help would be great! Thanks!

34 REPLIES 34

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You would want to set the APs Native VLAN in the device specific settings of the AP to a VLAN that had a DHCP server on your backend.

matt_nissen
New Contributor

How should the AP be setup to use OUR backend DHCP properly?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Since the DHCP probe is working, I'd like to see a packet capture taken while a client tries to get an IP from this AP. That will show us which DHCP packets are getting through, and that would narrow down where the issue is. This guide reviews how to set up a remote sniffer packet capture using HiveManager: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture-in-NG

matt_nissen
New Contributor

Also, i can run the - test DCHP from the AP and it always has a green success response.... so i'm not sure...

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

For a DHCP server on your backend, you would just want to set the right VLAN in the user profile. The clients will send a DHCP request on the VLAN you set in the user profile, and the DHCP server should respond to begin the DHCP handshake.

As for the interference, environmental factors that we want to avoid most for wireless environments are metal, glass, and water. All of these tend to fragment the wireless signal, leading to those high retries. If you can't avoid the metal, glass, or water, it's best to have many APs with a very low power settings.

GTM-P2G8KFN